Subject: IPv6 renumbering draft

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:27:16 +0100

Hi,

We have submitted a new draft on "Things to think about when Renumbering
an IPv6 network", which complements Fred Baker's document on procedures
for renumbering.

The draft went in on Monday, but hasn't been announced.  It is in the IETF
repository though:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-v6ops-renumber-thinkabout-00.txt

Abstract

   This memo presents a summary of scenarios, issues for consideration
   and IPv6-specific tools for IPv6 network renumbering, i.e.  achieving
   the transition from the use of an existing network prefix to a new
   prefix in an IPv6 network.  Its focus lies not in the procedure for
   renumbering, but as a set of "things to think about" when undertaking
   such a renumbering exercise.  The document is not intended to be
   complete at the -00 phase, and will be enhanced as further
   operational experience is gathered.

Given the relationship between renumbering and multihoming (renumbering
without a flag day implies transient multihoming), we felt we'd like to
invite multi6-ers to post feedback on the v6ops list (rather than here,
to keep one thread :).

--
Tim