Subject: RE: [OT] Moving "path selection" to the end hosts (was Re: On the use of multiple PA prefixes ...)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:32:10 +0300

Pekka, Noel,

> Based on this straw man analysis, I get the feeling that moving
> path selection to the end hosts might be good because
> 
>    - the end hosts may use information from their peers to make
>      better selections, and
> 
>    - the end hosts may more easily use dynamic upper layer
>      congestion information to revise their choices on need

We are moving towards this anyway. Wireless networks usually
require a fair amount of information on which network to log
into, with which credentials; and which network - private
operator network, public Internet, corporate intranet, etc.

VPN software usually requires one to know where to log into, 
which gateway to connect to and so on.  

I would note that a lot of this is more related to host multihoming
than site multihoming, however any solution for site multihoming
will probably require more intelligence in the end-host anyway.

John