Subject: Design team work

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:57:25 -0700

Folks,

The design team that started after the San Diego meeting has produced 5 
drafts (which all have "multi6dt" as part of their name).
I think four of them have been announced and are in the I-D directory so 
far.

The most revolutionary of them is draft-bagnulo-multi6dt-hba-00.txt
which provides a way to secure the relationship between a hosts multiple 
IP addresses as long as the set of address prefixes is fixed, and the 
verification is as cheap as computing a SHA1 hash. Thus without any 
additional dependencies on the DNS and without any public key crypto, it 
is possible to secure the relationship between the addresses/locators of 
the host. To me this is very promising.

The complete list of drafts is below.
I hope we can get some discussion on the mailing list before DC so that 
we can collectively have a list of open issues to discuss in DC.

                        Multihoming L3 Shim Approach
                   <draft-nordmark-multi6dt-shim-00.txt>

                        Hash Based Addresses (HBA)
                      draft-bagnulo-multi6dt-hba-00

                  Functional decomposition of the M6 protocol
                 draft-bagnulo-multi6dt-functional-dec-00

         Failure Detection and Locator Selection in Multi6
                draft-arkko-multi6dt-failure-detection-00

                     Multi6 Application Referral Issues
                   <draft-nordmark-multi6dt-refer-00.txt>

    Erik