Subject: Evaluation of Multihoming Solutions

From: "Martin Dunmore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:58:32 -0000

Hi,

As part of the 6NET project (http://www.6net.org) we are producing a
document that is attempting to evaluate the different multihoming proposals
that have surfaced in the last couple of years or so.

The latest draft is publicly available on the 6NET website...
http://www.6net.org/publications/other/multihoming.pdf  (pdf version)
http://www.6net.org/publications/other/multihoming.doc  (ms word version)

The draft still has a few holes (see email below) but it would be beneficial
to get any feedback from people on the multi6 list.

Regards,
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dunmore,
Martin
Sent: 25 January 2005 22:42
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6net wp4] D4.5.3 draft available

I've placed the latest draft of D4.5.3 Evaluation of Multihoming Solutions
on the website in WP4/Contributions section.

It still needs a bit of work and I'm hoping the chaps that are savvy with
multihoming can give me some feedback and/or contribute some more text.

In particular we need to ask...

Is the structure ok?
Have I missed any important solutions?
Some proposals have expired as internet drafts... does that mean we should
leave them out? 

The main section I could do with some help on is the conclusions section
where I'm hoping to evaluate the various proposals based on the goals in
rfc3852 and then suggest some sensible way forward for people wishing to do
multihoing in IPv6. It's a little empty at the moment as I've not had time
to analyse and cross reference everything.

The few sections with missing text aren't much of a problem as I can fill
them in myself. Although if anyone has text they can offer... please feel
free ;-)

Other than that it needs general spit and polish and filling in a few
blanks! Perhaps also some more diagrams.

Regards,
Martin
----------------------------------------
Dr Martin Dunmore 
Research Associate 
Computing Department
InfoLab 21, South Drive
Lancaster University
Lancaster, LA1 4WA
UK
Tel: +44 (0)1524 510382 
Fax: +44 (0)1524 510492 
Mob: +44 (0)7866 676930
------------------------------------------

---

From: Kevin Loch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:38:36 -0500

> that have surfaced in the last couple of years or so.

Martin,

You may be interested in this draft which was updated today:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-loch-multi6-alternate-path-encoding-03.txt

which involves routers recognizing alternate prefixes encoded in the 
interface id portion of an address.

The -03 update primarily involves recording and avoidance of unavailable
paths.

Kevin Loch