Subject: [multimob] Charter tweak for IGMP/MLD

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:02:33 -0400

From the charter discussion of IGMP/MLD extensions methods for
reducing join/leave latency.

It is a goal for the working group to ensure backward compatibility
with the current implementations of group management protocols.
Message structures supported in current deployed networks will not be
modified.

I would suggest making this a little tighter. How does this sound ?

It is a goal for the working group to ensure backward compatibility
with the current implementations of group management protocols. Any
new IGMP/MLD message types created will be to optimize mobile
performance and, since they could be ignored, dropped or improperly
forwarded by existing hosts, switches, routers and proxies, will not
be necessary for proper IGMP/MLD performance, albeit with a partial or
total loss of the intended performance optimization in deployments
that do not fully support them.  Message structures supported in the
current deployed networks will not be modified.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:47:04 +0100

Thanks Marshall, to me this seems helpful.

Does anyone on the list have other suggestions, if not, we'll add this 
to the Charter proposal.

The BoF Chairs plan to send full final charter text by Monday to the 
mailing list - after which we plan to close this chartering discussion 
until the BoF.

Gorry

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> multimob mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multimob
> 
>

---

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 01:44:22 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

> Does anyone on the list have other suggestions, if not, we'll add
> this to the Charter proposal.

I'm fine with it.
Regards,
--
Hitoshi Asaeda