Subject: [multimob] Charter update

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 16:00:26 +0100

I hope we are finally there.

Behcet and I propose to post the version of the Charter below to our 
ADs. We think we took account of all comments we received (on and off 
list), but have had to make a few small compromises.

If you find corrections needed to wording or something significant, let 
us know. There is a hard deadline of 12:00 noon, GMT for this feedback, 
after which we'll send to our ADs.

Thanks to all who engaged in this process,

Gorry & Behcet

----

Multicast Mobility (multimob)

Chairs:
Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>

Internet Area (int) Directors:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>.

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
Subscribe online at: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multimob

Description of Working Group

The Multicast mobility (multimob) will develop protocol extensions
and provide guidance for supporting IPv6 (and also IPv4)
multicast in a mobile environment. It will consider both source
specific multicast (SSM) and any source multicast (ASM) multicast
models. The scope of work will be limited to Proxy Mobile IPv6, MLD/IGMP
protocols and listener mobility. Work requiring modifications of
multicast routing protocols is out of scope.

Specific goals are:
- Specify PMIPv6 extensions to support IPv6 multicast including remote 
subscription and fast handover.
- Specify IGMP/MLD extensions methods for mobility.

The Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) specification as defined in RFC 5213 does not
explicitly define support for multicast. The WG will work on solutions 
for multicast support in PMIPv6. It will document basic support for 
multicast with remote subscription. Such basic support will not require 
any additions or changes to RFC 5213 specified message types and 
parameters, and will assume an unmodified mobile host.  Remote
subscription is a mechanism by which a mobile node joins a multicast
group and receives multicast data forwarded via the local mobility
anchor. If required, basic multicast support may be extended to support 
optimizations to address the avalanche problem and fast handover.

IGMPv3/MLDv2 has been specified for wired networks with
shared links. Mobile nodes also have other needs (e.g.  entering a
dormant mode to conserve battery power, minimising the latency for
joining and leaving a group in support of movement). Mobile nodes also 
have other needs that are specific to wireless networks and mobility.

The WG will assess existing solutions for group management, and
determine if these methods are sufficient in a mobile environment.
This will include recommending appropriate selection of timer values
and protocol parameters. If current methods are not sufficient, the WG
shall specify updates to existing protocols. It is a goal for the WG to
ensure backward compatibility with current implementations of
group management protocols. New IGMP/MLD message types
may be specified to optimize mobile performance. Since these
could be ignored, dropped or improperly forwarded by existing hosts,
switches, routers and proxies, these will not be necessary for proper
IGMP/MLD performance, albeit with a partial or total loss of the
intended performance optimization in deployments that do not fully
support them.

Future work, subject to approval, may study/evaluate whether extensions 
are needed for the client-based mobility protocols (Mobile IPv6 and 
Dual-Stack Mobile IPv6). Future work may also include protocol 
extensions to support source mobility  and methods to allow a 
multi-homed mobile node to join multicast groups and direct multicast 
flows to appropriate local interfaces.

In performing this work, the Multimob working group will work closely
with NETLMM working group and will coordinate work on IGMP/MLD
extensions with the MBONED working group.

GOALS and MILESTONES:

Six months:
- Submit a document explaining use of multicast in PMIPv6, for 
publication as an INFO/BCP RFC.
- Submit a document on how to tune MLD for mobility, for publication as 
an INFO/BCP RFC.

One year:
- Submit a document on extensions for multicast mobility in PMIPv6 as an 
EXP/PS RFC.
- Submit a document on IGMP/MLD extensions for multicast mobility as an 
EXP/PS RFC.

Recharter or close working group.