Subject: [multimob] Discussion on PMIPv6 multicast routing optimization

From: "Seil Jeon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:16:10 +0900

Hi, multimob all,

There have been several drafts for PMIPv6 multicast routing optimization. I
think we need more discussions and clear comparison between drafts.
Overall, in my opinion, there are two kinds of approaches : dedicated LMA
and direct (local) routing.
 
Before the discussion which is good or not, actually I think that both
cases are reasonable depending on deployment scenarios.
 
If the contents are located at PMIP domain outside, dedicated LMA approach
can be appropriate because PMIP basically uses LMA for traffic anchor point 
even though it brings about optimization issues (tunneling overhead,
complexity on LMA)
 
However, in the case that the contents and contents providers are connected
with MAG (locally available case), local routing approach is more suitable
solution.
Direct (local) routing approach is simple and resolves performance-related
issues using native multicasting infrastructure. Actually, in 3GPP SAE,
locally content-deliverying without LMA (PDN-GW) is reflected in MBMS
architecture of 3GPP SAE (TS 23.246). In operator's perspective, this local
available approach can be quite useful regarding service deployment.

Certainly, the above are some of my thoughts. If we can see what others
think before the prague meeting, it would be great.

Regards,
 
Seil Jeon