Subject: [multimob] RFC 7411 on Multicast Listener Extensions for Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6) and Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) Fast Handovers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:32:11 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7411

        Title:      Multicast Listener Extensions for Mobile 
                    IPv6 (MIPv6) and Proxy Mobile IPv6 
                    (PMIPv6) Fast Handovers 
        Author:     T. Schmidt, Ed.,
                    M. Waehlisch, R. Koodli,
                    G. Fairhurst, D. Liu
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Characters: 72298
        Updates:    RFC5568

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-multimob-fmipv6-pfmipv6-multicast-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7411.txt

Fast handover protocols for Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6) and Proxy Mobile IPv6
(PMIPv6) define mobility management procedures that support unicast
communication at reduced handover latency.  Fast handover base
operations do not affect multicast communication and, hence, do not
accelerate handover management for native multicast listeners.  Many
multicast applications like IPTV or conferencing, though, comprise
delay-sensitive, real-time traffic and will benefit from fast
handover completion.  This document specifies extension of the Mobile
IPv6 Fast Handovers (FMIPv6) and the Fast Handovers for Proxy Mobile
IPv6 (PFMIPv6) protocols to include multicast traffic management in
fast handover operations.  This multicast support is provided first
at the control plane by management of rapid context transfer between
access routers and second at the data plane by optional fast traffic
forwarding that may include buffering.  An FMIPv6 access router
indicates support for multicast using an updated Proxy Router
Advertisements message format.

This document updates RFC 5568, "Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers".

This document is a product of the Multicast Mobility Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC