Subject: [netmod] I-D Action:draft-ietf-netmod-yang-types-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 03:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the NETCONF Data Modeling Language Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Common YANG Data Types
	Author(s)       : J. Schoenwaelder
	Filename        : draft-ietf-netmod-yang-types-03.txt
	Pages           : 68
	Date            : 2009-05-13

This document introduces a collection of common data types to be used
with the YANG data modeling language.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-types-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 12:37:37 +0200

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-types-03.txt

This version should be ready for WG last call.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 13:48:46 +0200

So you may want to consider this as a WGLC comment. 

The following description (repeated another couple of times) taken from
RFC 2579  MacAddress TC is slightly inaccurate: 

"The mac-address type represents an 802 MAC address represented
       in the `canonical' order defined by IEEE 802.1a, i.e., as if it
       were transmitted least significant bit first, even though 802.5
       (in contrast to other 802.x protocols) requires MAC addresses
       to be transmitted most significant bit first.

       This type is in the value set and its semantics equivalent to
       the MacAddress textual convention of the SMIv2.";

1. s/802 MAC address/IEEE 802 MAC address/

2. The canonical order is currently defined not in IEEE 802.1a which
does not exist any longer but in IEEE Std. 802-2001. The definition of
what 'canonical' means is also worded differently there, but we may keep
the one used in 2579 as they are equivalent and the one in 2579 is more
practical. 

3. s/802.5/IEEE 802.5/

4. s/802.x/IEEE 802.x/

5. We should make clear that what Token Ring (IEEE 802.5) was doing was
using the non-canonical order. Also as 802.5 is no longer used and has
little chances to be used with NETMOD ever, maybe past tense is more
appropriate. 

So if we are to include all the edits above the description could look
like:

"The mac-address type represents an IEEE 802 MAC address represented
       in the `canonical' order defined by IEEE Std. 802-2001, i.e., as
if it
       were transmitted least significant bit first, even though IEEE
802.5
       (in contrast to other IEEE 802.x protocols) used the
'non-canonical' order 
       that requires MAC addresses
       to be transmitted most significant bit first.

       This type is in the value set and its semantics equivalent to
       the MacAddress textual convention of the SMIv2.";

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Juergen Schoenwaelder
> Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:38 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [netmod] I-D Action:draft-ietf-netmod-yang-types-03.txt
> 
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:33:27 +0200

>        the MacAddress textual convention of the SMIv2.";

Probably the solution is to not talk about the order since we have a
textual representation and so there is no need for this text (which I
copied from the SMIv2 definition where it is needed). This leads to:

  typedef mac-address {
    type string {
      pattern '[0-9a-fA-F]{2}(:[0-9a-fA-F]{2}){5}';
    }
    description
     "The mac-address type represents an IEEE 802 MAC address.

      This type is in the value set and its semantics equivalent to
      the MacAddress textual convention of the SMIv2.";
    reference
      "RFC 2579: Textual Conventions for SMIv2";
  }

plus a suitable reference to IEEE Std. 802-2001 if I understand you
correctly.

/js

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:41:56 +0200

> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder 

...

> Probably the solution is to not talk about the order since we 
> have a textual representation and so there is no need for 
> this text (which I copied from the SMIv2 definition where it 
> is needed). This leads to:
> 
>   typedef mac-address {
>     type string {
> plus a suitable reference to IEEE Std. 802-2001 if I 
> understand you correctly.

Agreed. 

Dan