Subject: [netmod] edit-config for lists

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:15:02 +0200

Hi,

if I slightly extend the example near the end of Sec. 7.7.8:

...
    <ssh>
        <cipher nc:operation="create"
                yang:insert="after"
                yang:value="3des-cbc">blowfish-cbc</cipher>
        <cipher nc:operation="create"
                yang:insert="after"
                yang:value="3des-cbc">aes-cbc</cipher>
    </ssh>
...

What will be the resulting order of list entries: "3des-cbc, blowfish-cbc, aes-cbc" or
"3des-cbc, aes-cbc, blowfish-cbc"?

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:52:46 +0200 (CEST)

> "3des-cbc, aes-cbc, blowfish-cbc"?

Since each operation is applied in order, it will be the latter.

If this needs to be clarified,, I'm note sure if it should be done in
4741bis or the yang draft.

/martin

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 10:03:18 +0200

> Since each operation is applied in order, it will be the latter.

Where is this specified? I'd actually prefer if the entire edit-config
was atomic.

> 4741bis or the yang draft.

The attributes "insert", "value" and "key" are specific to YANG, so I
guess it should be in the yang draft.

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 16:51:29 +0200 (CEST)

Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Where is this specified?

Hmm, it's not explicitly specified for this case.  It is explicitly
mentioned for "replace".

How about adding this to 7.8.6:

  If several list entries in an "ordered-by user" list are modified in
  the same <edit-config> request, the entires are modified one at the
  time, in the order of the XML elements in the request.

> I'd actually prefer if the entire edit-config
> was atomic.

"atomic" is maybe not the right word.  Do you mean that the result of
the example should be undefined?

/martin

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:09:26 +0200

> the example should be undefined?

My remark about atomicity was related to your statement "each operation
is applied in order". Does it mean that only a part of the edit-config
may be applied?

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C