Subject: [netmod] WGLC comment on identifier namespace

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 22:17:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I received an off-line comment that the text about the namespace for
typedefs and groupings is incorrect.  The current text from section
6.2.1 says:

   o  All derived type names defined within a parent node or at the top-
      level of the module or its submodules share the same type
      identifier namespace.  This namespace is scoped to the parent node
      or module.

Consider the following example:

   container a {
       typedef t { ... }
       container b {
           typedef t { ... }  // illegal
       }
   }

The second typedef is supposed to be illegal, since the type 't' is
already defined.

I suggest the following replacement text:

   o  All derived type names defined within a parent node or at the top-
      level of the module or its submodules share the same type
      identifier namespace.  This namespace is scoped to all descendant
      nodes of the parent node or module.  This means that any
      descendent node may use that typedef, and it MUST NOT define a
      typedef with the same name.

(and similar for groupings)

/martin