Subject: [netmod] edit-config

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:36:05 +0200

Hi,

in Sec. 7.6.6 on edit-config operations for leafs, the two sentences
describing the procedure for "merge" and "replace" operations are
exactly identical, which should lead to the conclusion that the agent
behaviour is the same for both operations. However, RFC 4741 says that
for the "replace" operation "only the configuration actually present in
the config parameter is affected", so the node should NOT be created if
it doesn't exist, if I understand it correctly. So how is it actually?

Lada
 
-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:05:04 +0200 (CEST)

> it doesn't exist, if I understand it correctly. So how is it actually?

There is no difference between merge and replace for a leaf.

In general, replace does not give an error if the item to replace does
not exist.  (This has been discussed several times on the ML)

/martin

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:26:39 +0200

> not exist.  (This has been discussed several times on the ML)

OK, but the item also should not be created, should it? Or how do you
explain the above sentence from RFC 4741?

BTW, the subsequent paragraphs on "create" and "delete" should mention
that rpc-error is returned if the item exists or doesn't exist,
respectively.

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:56:47 +0200 (CEST)

> explain the above sentence from RFC 4741?

The complete text is:

            Unlike a <copy-config> operation, which replaces
            the entire target configuration, only the configuration
            actually present in the config parameter is affected.

This means that <copy-config> will do a complete replace of the entire
data store, but the replace operation just replaces the data in the
edit-config PDU.

/martin