Subject: [netmod] yang usage: template.yang

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:56:09 -0700

Hi,

In the next revision, I plan to add an appendix with a YANG module template.
Hopefully, YANG writers will cut-and-paste as needed to more easily comply
with the guidelines.

Would it be better to pick some simple example like TOASTER-MIB,
maybe blender.yang (any suggestions?) than complex examples (like ipfix),
or junk names and data structures (like foo and goo)?

IMO, something like blender.yang might be best to explain some
of the guidelines.  Should I reuse toaster?  Any other simple
appliances that would make a good template?

thanks,
Andy

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:46:01 +0200

> appliances that would make a good template?

You would need something that has sufficient configuration knobs;
perhaps an espresso machine is a better target (some of the high-end
espresso machines really would benefit from being NETCONF enabled).
It also makes it clear that SNMP was good enough for toasters while
NETCONF can easily deal with an espresso machine. ;-)

/js (who needs some coffee now)

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>