Subject: [netmod] [Fwd: Re: Configuration Data versus Operational State Data versus Statistics]

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:18:52 +0200

Hi,

as if the chaos wasn't big enough yet, the mailing list had eaten up two
of my recent messages. So I am resending this one, and the important
part of the other one is in the subsequent discussion with Martin with
subject "Issue: interpretation of 'default'".

I am sorry for that,

Lada 

-------- Přeposlaná zpráva --------
Od: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Komu: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Kopie: [email-masked]
Předmět: Re: [netmod] Configuration Data versus Operational State Data
versus Statistics
Datum: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:53:43 +0200

Juergen Schoenwaelder píše v Út 01. 09. 2009 v 21:35 +0200:
> Hi,
> 
> I propose to add a section to the architecture document defining and
> discussing the difference between configuration data, operational
> state data, and statistics. I attaching some draft writeup explaining

I support inclusion of this text in the architecture document. The
distinction between operational state data and statistics is crucial.

> the background, providing a definition and some examples we discussed
> here on the list. I am also including a section discussing potential
> approaches to deal with operational state data. This is more for
> discussion rather than inclusion in the architecture document.

In the second paragraph of Example 2 you write:

"However, there are usually provisions to overwrite the discovered
attributes with static configuration data, ..."

Depending on implementation, operational state and configuration
parameters may be so tightly coupled that they are effectively
indistinguishable. For example, I can directly write certain values in
the /proc filesystem, so they are by definition configuration data, but
the write immediately changes operational data in the kernel.
Conversely, any change of such a parameter in the kernel is immediately
reflected in the /proc filesystem.

Lada

> 
> /js
> 
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod
-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C