Subject: [netmod] Andy's Issues (was: Re: capabilities related edits)

From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:54:04 -0400

Andy Bierman writes:
>IMO, here is what should be done to make the standard
>reasonably likely to produce inter-operable implementations:

Please make a new email thread for each issue.  We can add them to
the issue list, discuss them individually, reach a concensus (again),
and mark them as closed issues.

Thanks,
 Phil

----

Andy's Issues:
 1) Make revision-stmt mandatory to use
 2) Make advertisement of all module capabilities
    in the <hello> mandatory
 3) Make the sec. 10 rules wrt/ defaults apply to
    all defaults (even in groupings)
 4) Make import/include by revision SHOULD use (not specified now)
 5) Remove normative text wrt/ client MUST use the default;
    the text that the server MAY omit defaults is sufficient.
 6) Finish the with-defaults RFC ASAP; all servers SHOULD implement
    it to provide 'report-all' as a non-default retrieval mechanism
 7) Do not wait to define a new (possibly) non-backward compatible version
    of NETCONF (e.g., get-operational-state).  Stick to the decision
    to rely on description statements, special RPCs, and extensions
    to partition the database beyond the standard filters.  The NETCONF WG
    originally debated this issue a great deal and decided on
    1 'get-everything' operation (get).  This was a direct request
    from operators.

       Example: I just added set-log-level() as a special RPC
       because I don't want it saved in NV-store.  Is it perfect?
       Unified?  No -- but if the client doesn't know about the
       RPC <set-log-level>, why would it know about the config leaf <log-level>?
       This is a workaround that actually works.

 8) Pencils down.  No new features.  Bugfixes only from now on.
    Ship it already.