Subject: [netmod] when description and yang statement disagree

From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:02:57 -0500

An issue Andy raised was what to do when the description statement
and the other YANG statements disagree.  Is it a bug?  How are conflicts
resolved.  Here is some proposed text that addresses the issue.

   In some circumstances, the standard YANG modeling statements
   will not be sufficient to document all restrictions placed on
   the data model and its values.  The "description" statement (and
   non-standard extensions) can be used to express these restrictions,
   but should be viewed as additional restrictions on the base
   information supplied in the standard YANG statements.  The
   description should never be seen as allowing additional content
   that would be deemed as invalid by the contract specified in the
   YANG module.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
 Phil

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 00:04:00 +0100

>    that would be deemed as invalid by the contract specified in the

When a description statement and other YANG statements disagree, then
there is a bug and it requires human intelligence to figure out what
is wrong. A blanket statement that one of them wins is of no real
value. The text itself is relatively harmless but in the context it is
posted, I am having an issue with it. My proposal is to do not
nothing; I assume that contradictions in a specifications are
considered a bug without explicit text stating this and as said
before, the resolution of a bug requires understanding of the bug and
human intelligence.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>