Subject: [netmod] Suggestions for draft-huang-netmod-acl-03.txt

From: steve cheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 11:11:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Lisa/Alex/Andy,

I saw current draft doesn't cover how SPF (ACL) is applied on an interface or other client applications. 
=========================

We typically call these SPF(ACL) on an interface for packet filtering as Security ACL. For example, 
interface foo
    SPF(ACL) bar ingress/egress

Would it make sense to create a new draft? 

=========================

Another kind of widely deployed SPF(ACL) is in other client applications. QoS, PBR, and routing protocols such as OSPF/BGP are some examples. 

	* For QoS/PBR/other policy based applications, it's used for classification. For example QoS, 

	* class foo: match SPF (ACL), 

	* policy bar: match class foo, rate limiting
	* policy bar is applied on an interface ingress/egress

	* For routing protocols, it's used for route/prefix filtering (not packet filtering).

	* some other applications can simply use ACL (SPF) to filter out debugging output.

Any suggestion on how to deal with them? 

cheers,

Steve Cheng