Subject: [netmod] new YANG 1.1 issue: adding mandatory nodes

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:57:45 -0700

Hi,

This text in sec 10 is problematic:

      New data definition statements may be added if they do not add
      mandatory nodes (Section 3.1) to existing nodes or at the top
      level in a module or submodule, or if they are conditionally
      dependent on a new feature (i.e., have an "if-feature" statement
      that refers to a new feature).

Issues:

  - What difference does a new YANG feature make to an old client?
    Why is the text about if-feature in the document?

  - It seems a mandatory child node (without if-feature) can never be added
    to a new revision.  All mandatory child nodes need to be known in
version 1.
    Adding new top-level objects (and replicating sub-trees) is impractical.

 - Any 'current' node can be changed to 'obsolete' status in a new revision.
   This will break an old client just as badly as adding a new mandatory
node.

Solution:

  - Allow new mandatory data definitions to be added in new releases.

      New data definition statements may be added to existing nodes
      or at the top level in a module or submodule.

Andy

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:10:32 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

This is now Y27.

/martin