Subject: [netmod] derived-from() and derived-from-or-self() arguments

From: William Lupton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:52:20 +0000

Hi,

I'm sure there's an obvious reason for this, but could someone explain why
these functions need a separate module-name argument rather than just using
that module's prefix on the identity-name argument?

For example, I saw derived-from(x, "ex-module", "foo") in a recent message
but (assuming that "ex" is the prefix for "ex-module") will this always be
the same as derived-from(x, "ex:foo")?

Thanks,
William

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 20:51:49 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

> that module's prefix on the identity-name argument?

The only reason is that there are no existing functions that take a
prefixed string as an argument.  I think it would be possible to
change these functions to take just two arguments, but I am not sure
it is worth it?

/martin