Subject: [netmod] general permission on metadata

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:30:26 +0900

Hi,

my idea was that YANG spec contain a general statement that data may be complemented with annotations, i.e. information that's not represented in the data model as regular YANG data nodes, and that every encoding has to specify how these annotations can be recognized in the payload. Parsers of YANG data (in whatever encoding) then MUST be prepared to receive such annotations (and perhaps ignore them).

I don't think such a statement is encoding-specific.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 06:50:52 +0100

Lada,

I do not think this belongs into the YANG specification. NC has been
designed to support arbitrary XML so any NC compliant implementation
will not screw up on XML attributes. The JSON encoding could say that
names with @ may be used for special purposes and must be supported
and that implementations must be expected to handle full I-JSON and
not the subset used by YANG.

I guess I am not even sure yet that there is a problem that requires
fixing. But if it requires fixing, than its an encoding or protocol
issue, not a data modeling language issue.

/js

On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 02:30:26PM +0900, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:11:47 +0900

> On 04 Nov 2015, at 14:50, Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Lada,
> 

Yes, that's my Plan B.

> issue, not a data modeling language issue.

I thought it might be useful to mention the fact that annotations are permitted to accompany the data, but if it's not done, I'm fine with that.

Lada