Subject: [netmod] Protocol Action: 'Defining and Using Metadata with YANG' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-netmod-yang-metadata-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 14:33:52 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Defining and Using Metadata with YANG'
  (draft-ietf-netmod-yang-metadata-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the NETCONF Data Modeling Language
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-metadata/

Technical Summary

   This document defines a YANG extension statement that allows for
   defining metadata annotations in YANG modules.  The document also
   specifies XML and JSON encoding of annotations and other rules for
   annotating instances of YANG data nodes.

Working Group Summary

    There has been some controversy regarding the fact that metadata
   annotations are defined using a YANG extension, which means that they
   are by definition optional to implement. On the other hand, introducing
   a new built-in YANG statement was considered a big change that's not
   suited for inclusion in the minor (1.1) revision of YANG.

Document Quality

   In the past, vendors of management software and networking devices
   introduced a number of proprietary metadata annotations for various
   purposes. This document allows for including information about
   annotations in YANG data models so that standard annotations can be
   defined in an interoperable way, and in both supported encodings (XML
   and JSON).

   The RESTCONF protocol document [draft-ietf-netconf-restconf] has a
   normative reference to this document for the encoding of metadata. 
   Also, the widely used tool `pyang` has already been updated to support
   this draft.

Personnel

   The Shepherd is Kent Watsen.  The AD is Benoit Claise  If the document requires IANA
   experts(s), insert 'The IANA Expert(s) for the registries
   in this document are Tim Bray, Martin Thomson (http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/xml-registry.xhtml)