Subject: [netmod] draft-ietf-netmod-entity issue #12

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 16:03:40 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Issue https://github.com/netmod-wg/entity/issues/12

  entConfigChange is useful but maybe covered by netconf-config-change
  notification, or pub/sub. it is also a bad name, since it fires when
  the opstate changes...  Need to think about which notifs to define.

Currently we have three notifications:

  harwdare-state-change
  hardware-state-oper-enabled
  hardware-state-oper-disabled

Jason Sterne also made the observation on the ML that maybe pub/sub is
a better mechanism for these simple notifs.

/martin

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 16:58:29 +0100

>   hardware-state-oper-disabled

It seems harwdare-state-change is not netconf-config-change. The
harwdare-state-change indicates that the '/hardware-state/component'
list has changed, i.e., operational state has changed not config.  (It
is always important to read the descriptions and not to draw wrong
conclusions from the fact the SNMP notification was called
entConfigChange.)
 
> a better mechanism for these simple notifs.

Not sure what 'better' means. I assume that generating these specific
notifications can likely be done way more efficiently than doing the
same via a pub/sub interface unless the pub/sub backend code is really
really smart. That said, I would not be surprised if application
writers will use pub/sub for everything because the hammer makes
everything look like a nail.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 17:09:06 +0100 (CET)

> conclusions from the fact the SNMP notification was called

Yes.

> really smart.

Yes, I share this concern.  I don't think it would be a good idea to
remove all notifications and just provide state nodes, and then assume
that clients write clever filters in order to get the notificaitons
they want.

However, in this particular case, the notifications
hardware-state-oper-enabled and hardware-state-oper-disabled are
simple in the sense that they defined to be generated when a certain
node changes its value.

> That said, I would not be surprised if application

We'll see.  Specific notifications are often designed to deliver
related information, and this might not be to easy to do with a
generic solution like pub/sub.

/martin