Subject: [netmod] sub-intf-vlan-model for VLAN forwarding

From: Alex Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 04:46:31 +0000

Hi,

I'm currently looking at draft-ietf-netmod-sub-intf-vlan-model-03 to see whether we can use this as our main model for VLAN forwarding, and it appears the answer is no.
There is no way to configure forwarding in this model; it is strictly about interfaces.

The appendix gives the impression that this model can be used to configure forwarding, though: "Both models can be used for configuring similar basic layer 2 forwarding topologies,"

Is forwarding configuration out of scope of this model?

Thanks,

  Alex

---

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 11:13:32 +0100

Hi Alex,

You are correct.  This model does not define any VLAN based forwarding 
by itself, that is entirely left to other models.

The options available today are:

IETF:

- Use this model in conjunction with IPv4/IPv6 YANG models for L3 routed 
traffic.

- Use this model in conjunction with an L2VPN YANG model (e.g. 
draft-ietf-bess-l2vpn-yang-08), or perhaps also with 
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-yang-05.

IEEE:

- Use the IEEE 802.1 bridging YANG model (which isn't based on 
sub-interface constructs at all).

OpenConfig:

- They have a hybrid model that supports both L2VPN based services and 
basic VLAN based switching.

Thanks,
Rob

On 27/03/2018 05:46, Alex Campbell wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>
> I'm currently looking at draft-ietf-netmod-sub-intf-vlan-model-03 to 
> see whether we can use this as our main model for VLAN forwarding, and 
> it appears the answer is no.
> The appendix gives the impression that this model can be used to 
> configure forwarding, though: "Both models can be used for configuring 
> similar basic layer 2 forwarding topologies,"
>
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod