Subject: [netmod] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis-18: (with COMMENT)

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:49:18 -0800

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis-18: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis.txt:500
   normative, if the module itself is considered normative, and not an
   example module or example YANG fragment.  The use of keywords defined
   in [RFC2119] apply to YANG description statements in normative
I think you probably want to rewrite this as:

"Note that if the module itself is considered normative and not an example
module or example YANG fragment, then all YANG statements..."

   o  Prefixes are never allowed for built in data types and YANG
      keywords.
I'm not sure I understand what this means. Is the idea that I can't use
"example-import" somewhere?

   character MAY be used if the identifier represents a well-known value
   that uses these characters.
Is this text saying that only characters in these two subsets are allowed and
therefore, for instance "." is forbidden

   It is RECOMMENDED that only valid YANG modules be included in
   documents, whether or not they are published yet.  This allows:
For clarify, I assume you mean "the modules are published yet"

   The NETCONF Access Control Model (NACM) [I-D.ietf-netconf-rfc6536bis]
   does not support parameter access control for RPC operations.  The
   user is given permission (or not) to invoke the RPC operation with
This might be slightly clearer if you said "parameter-based access control"

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 13:44:58 -0800

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis/
OK

> "example-import" somewhere?

The external keyword "example:import" is not the same as the YANG keyword
"import"
YANG keywords are not allowed to have prefixes.

> therefore, for instance "." is forbidden

This text is suggesting the characters that SHOULD be used.
The dot and dash chars are not included. The text specifies which
characters are included.

> For clarify, I assume you mean "the modules are published yet"
OK

> This might be slightly clearer if you said "parameter-based access control"
OK

Andy

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 13:56:22 -0800

> The dot and dash chars are not included. The text specifies which

I'm sorry, I am still confused. Here's the original text:

   Identifiers SHOULD follow a consistent naming pattern throughout the
   module.  Only lower-case letters, numbers, and dashes SHOULD be used
   in identifier names.  Upper-case characters and the underscore
   character MAY be used if the identifier represents a well-known value
   that uses these characters.

There are other characters that are not in either of these sets. Are you
saying
that they can't be used under any conditions?

-Ekr

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:22:19 -0800

> that they can't be used under any conditions?
I will add the period charater to the list

Andy

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:25:00 -0800

Hi Andy,

I don't want to overrotate on period, as I was just using it as an example.

As I said, there are a pile of other characters that are not in either set.
Are
they allowed or not?

-Ekr

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:22 PM, Andy Bierman <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> The external keyword "example:import" is not the same as the YANG
>>> keyword "import"

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:31:06 -0800

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:25 PM, Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As I said, there are a pile of other characters that are not in either
> set. Are
> they allowed or not?
>
>
That is the only other character allowed in YANG not mentioned in this
section.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7950#section-6.2

-Ekr
Andy

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:38:00 -0800

OK. I think it would be helpful to the reader to say that explicitly.

-ekr

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Andy Bierman <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>> There are other characters that are not in either of these sets. Are
>>>> you saying