Subject: [netmod] Operational state data in <get> operation

From: Rohit R Ranade <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 05:31:23 +0000

Hi All,

RFC 6244 says below statements in Section 4.3.1

"   NETCONF does not follow the distinction formulated by the operators
   between configuration data, operational state data, and statistical
   data, since it considers state data to include both statistics and
   operational state data.
"

RFC 6241 definition for "state data":
   o  state data: The additional data on a system that is not
      configuration data such as read-only status information and
      collected statistics.

RFC 8342 definition:
   o  system state: The additional data on a system that is not
      configuration, such as read-only status information and collected
      statistics.  System state is transient and modified by
      interactions with internal components or other systems.  System
      state is modeled in YANG using "config false" nodes.

   o  operational state: The combination of applied configuration and
      system state.

According to NMDA, state-data and "system-state" are the same. So "state-data" does not include operational state data. This means that RFC 6244 understanding is inaccurate regarding state-data ? And hence <get> cannot output Operational state as shown below. Please clarify.

RFC 6241 : Description for <get>
7.7.  <get>

   Description:  Retrieve running configuration and device state
      information.

RFC 6241:
The <get-config> operation retrieves
   configuration data only, while the <get> operation retrieves
   configuration and state data.

With Regards,
Rohit R Ranade

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 09:00:13 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

It is correct that <get> cannot return the applied configuration
since it returns running config + state, unless the configuration and
state data are modelled in different branches (e.g., /interfaces and
/interfaces-state).  This is why we introduce <get-data> as a new
operation to retrieve all operational state, including the applied
configuration.

/martin

Rohit R Ranade <[email-masked]> wrote:
> "NETCONF does not follow the distinction formulated by the operators
> According to NMDA, state-data and "system-state" are the same. So
> "state-data" does not include operational state data. This means that
> RFC 6244 understanding is inaccurate regarding state-data ? And hence
> <get> cannot output Operational state as shown below. Please clarify.
>