Subject: [netmod] New Liaison Statement, "MEF Starting IP Service Definition Work"

From: Liaison Statement Management Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 11:02:26 -0700

Title: MEF Starting IP Service Definition Work
Submission Date: 2018-07-06
URL of the IETF Web page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1584/

From: JASON WOLFE <[email-masked]>
To: Jürgen Schönwälder <[email-masked]>, Tom Nadeau <[email-masked]>,Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>,Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>,Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>,Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>,Ignas Bagdonas <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ignas Bagdonas <[email-masked]>,Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>,Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>,Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>,Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>,Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>,The IETF Chair <[email-masked]>,Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>,Lou Berger <[email-masked]>,Network Modeling Discussion List <[email-masked]>,Raghu Ranganathan <[email-masked]>
Response Contacts: [email-masked]
Technical Contacts: 
Purpose: For information

Body: The definition of IP Services is under consideration in MEF in both the Services and Applications Committees. This follows on from the
MEF IP Services Attributes specification, that was previously liaised to the IETF, and has recently been published as MEF 61. It is
complementary to the MEF IP Services OAM and IP Services Activation Testing work also ongoing in MEF and previously liaised to IETF.
This new project seeks to formalize the Subscriber IP Services for two main initial use cases:

Internet Access IP Services
Private IP-VPN Services

The scope of the IP Service Definition work includes IP-VPN as well as Internet Access IP services. The project will take the IP Service
Attributes already defined and place constraints on their use in delivering each of the IP Services noted. The primary purpose of the IP
Services Definition project is to produce a service definition that can be used to drive functions and models in the respective Lifecycle
Service Orchestration (LSO) elements within the OSS/BSS domain. These in turn would be used as a basis to create commercial
offerings. The service definitions would also be the first in a series of new definitions to enable applications such as SD-WAN, 5G Mobile
Backhaul, consistent pan-provider global enterprise IP-VPN services, etc.

MEF values IETF’s expertise and history in architecting and specifying IP networks and invites IETF input to the development of the IP
Service definitions. MEF intends to liaise interim results of the work periodically throughout the development process for IETF review
and comment.

MEF invites those affiliated with companies having membership in the MEF to be actively involved in the project and to help progress
the work in MEF, aligned with IETF protocol and models for existing deployed networks.
Please feel free to contact MEF with any questions concerning the work and its application.
MEF looks forward to IETF's input and continuing our cooperative work relationship on this important topic.

The forthcoming MEF meetings are:

23-26 July 2018 - Nashville, USA
1-2 November 2018 - Los Angeles, USA (co-located with MEF18)
Attachments:

    LS00285_001_Liaison to IETF on Start of IP Service Definition Work_Wolfe
    https://www.ietf.org/lib/dt/documents/LIAISON/liaison-2018-07-06-mef-ops-rtg-netmod-mef-starting-ip-service-definition-work-attachment-1.pdf