Subject: [netmod] IANA Considerations

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 11:51:39 +0000

I see that some recent YANG module I-Ds reference RFC6020 for
registering a YANG module name, others reference RFC7950, and did some
homework before suggesting that one or the other needed changing.

The IANA website refers the user to

RFC 6020, Internet Draft draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis-20

draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis-20
points the user to RFC6020 and seems to add nothing to that.

RFC7950 points the user to RFC6020 and seems to add nothing to that.  In
fact, the IANA Considerations section of RFC7950, unlike that of
RFC6020, is not helpful on this point - the relevant section is 6.3.

I conclude that the better reference is RFC6020 (and that the IANA
website might be clearer just referring to that).

Tom Petch

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 14:00:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

tom petch <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I conclude that the better reference is RFC6020

Yes, the YANG module registry is defined in RFC 6020, which is still a
proposed standard RFC (not obsoleted by RFC 7950).  RFC 7950 does not,
as you noted, take over ownership of the registry.

(this procedure was discussed in some detail when we did RFC 7950)

/martib

(and that the IANA
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod
>