Subject: [netmod] "input"/"output" in tree diagrams

From: Jernej Tuljak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 16:00:30 +0200

Hi,

am I reading RFC8340 correctly by assuming "input" and "output" nodes 
are not to be part of tree diagrams and that instead input/output 
parameters are now children to the "rpc" or "action" node, distinguished 
solely via -w/ro flags?

   rpcs:
     +---x get-schema
        +---w identifier! string
        +---w version?    string
        +---w format?     identityref
        +--ro data?

Only "input parameters" and "output parameters" are mentioned, which 
seems to suggest data node children of "input" and "output", but not 
themselves. It also says nothing about which flag they receive, if they 
are intended to appear.

Jernej

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 16:11:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Jernej Tuljak <[email-masked]> wrote:
> parameters are now children to the "rpc" or "action" node,
> distinguished solely via -w/ro flags?

I hope not, or that was not the intention anyway.

>        +---w format?     identityref

pyang outputs

    +---x get-schema
       +---w input
       |  +---w identifier    string
       |  +---w version?      string
       |  +---w format?       identityref
       +--ro output
          +--ro data?   <anyxml>

> themselves. It also says nothing about which flag they receive, if
> they are intended to appear.

Yes I can see how this could be clarified.

/martin

---

From: Jernej Tuljak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 10:01:06 +0200

What about inner groupings? Are inner groupings supposed to be displayed 
if top-level ones are? If so, how? RFC7895 (YANG library module) is an 
example - if you choose to display but not to expand groupings, you may 
get "+---u"'s that refer to groupings which may never be part of the 
diagram.

Jernej

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 16:02:47 +0200 (CEST)

Jernej Tuljak <[email-masked]> wrote:
> What about inner groupings? Are inner groupings supposed to be
> displayed if top-level ones are?

RFC 8340 only specifies the format for top-level groupings; i.e.,
inline groupings are not displayed separately in the tree diagram.

/martin

> If so, how? RFC7895 (YANG library
> module) is an example - if you choose to display but not to expand
> groupings, you may get "+---u"'s that refer to groupings which may
> never be part of the diagram.
> 
> Jernej
> 
>