Subject: [netmod] draft-verdt-netmod-yang-versioning-reqs-00, requirement 1.2

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 10:35:59 +0100

Hi Chris,

At IETF 102 you had an objecting to requirement 1.2 in 
draft-verdt-netmod-yang-versioning-reqs-00, I think because you saw that 
it was either leading towards a particular solution, or that it ruled 
out other potential solutions.

To that end, I would like to ask whether the following text would be 
more acceptable and address your original concerns?

Old:

        1.2  A mechanism is REQUIRED to update a module in a non-backward
             compatible way without forcing all clients/servers to access
             data nodes in the model on new paths, or in a new module
             namespace.  Specifically, if a particular data node is
             updated in a non-backward compatible way then it may be
             desirable for it to be available on the same path and in the
             same module namespace.

New:

    1.2   Non-backward compatible updates of a module MUST not impact
           clients that only access data nodes of the module that have
           either not been updated or have been updated in a backwards
           compatible way.

Thanks,
Rob