Subject: [netmod] instance file parsing

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 09:48:00 -0800

Hi,

I don't see much standards value in this draft so far.
It seems the parser of the file needs to know the YANG library information
for the instance file data in some out-of-scope non-standard manner.
This is what we already have today just by naming the file in a specific
way.

Is the intent that the instance-data-set leafs will be used to determine
the module revisions, features, and deviations used in the children
or the 'data' node?

Andy

---

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 19:07:03 +0000

I also think that the instance data header needs to have a way of 
indicating which modules (and versions/revisions) the instance data 
applies to.

It can be optional, so producers that know it is not required can leave 
it out.  But I think that it is required, at least for situations where 
being able to programmatically consume the instance data in a robust way 
is important.

Thanks,
Rob

On 30/11/2018 17:48, Andy Bierman wrote:
> This is what we already have today just by naming the file in a 
> specific way.
>
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 20:28:30 +0100

I doubt it makes sense to carry an entire yang library schema with the
instance data. The modules are actually known via the namespaces. If
you want to capture the schema, dump the relevant yang library into
another instance file.

/js

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 07:07:03PM +0000, Robert Wilton wrote:
> I also think that the instance data header needs to have a way of indicating
> which modules (and versions/revisions) the instance data applies to.
> 
> It can be optional, so producers that know it is not required can leave it
> out.  But I think that it is required, at least for situations where being
> able to programmatically consume the instance data in a robust way is
> important.
> 
> Thanks,
> Rob
> 
> 

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 11:36:03 -0800

> you want to capture the schema, dump the relevant yang library into
The capability URIs used in NETCONF are not too verbose.
I agree that more efficient solutions are possible.

1) YANG library instance file
The instance-data-set includes a URL to the instance file for the YANG
library
used to generate the associated data node.

2) YANG catalog
 The instance-data-set includes a URL to the appropriate yangcatalog.org
info

/js

Andy

> indicating
> it
> specific