Subject: [netmod] YANG Packages

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 17:44:37 +0000

Hi,

I've written up an ID for a potential solution for YANG packages using 
instance data:

Abstract

    This document defines YANG packages, an organizational structure
    holding a set of related YANG modules, that can be used to simplify
    the conformance and sharing of YANG schema.  It describes how YANG
    instance data documents are used to define YANG packages, and how the
    YANG library information published by a server can be augmented with
    additional packaging related information.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rwilton-netmod-yang-packages/

Potentially this work may be of use as part of the YANG versioning 
design team work.  In addition, if the WG likes this approach of 
defining YANG packages, then it might also be useful to bind a schema to 
a YANG instance data document.

Some questions for members of the WG:

1) Do members of the WG agree that YANG packages is something that needs 
to be solved?

2) Is the approach in this draft of defining these as instance data 
documents a good starting point?

3) This approach augments YANG library-bis, reusing module-sets, but not 
replacing the way that modules are reported in YANG library-bis.  Is 
this the right approach?  This approach tries to allow module-sets to be 
reused for both schema and packages, but the YANG library-bis rules for 
combining module-sets (i.e. no conflicts) may make this harder to really 
reuse the module-sets for both purposes.

Of course, any other comments or feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob