Subject: Re: [netmod] Fw: draft-sambo-netmod-yang-fsm-04

From: nicola sambo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 10:29:28 +0100

Hi Hadi,

thanks, please find answers inline:

From: Ottawa Guy <[email-masked]>
> To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "
> [email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "
> [email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "
> [email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 21:09:15 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Fw: draft-sambo-netmod-yang-fsm-04
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I am working for Ciena. We are exploring use of generic FSM propose in IETF "draft-sambo-netmod-yang-fsm" for our product. I have few questions about the proposed yang model.
>
>
> 1. Where can I download the latest version of the FSM yang file. Is there
> any github location.
>

The github location is https://github.com/nicola-sambo/FSM

anyway, the last version of the draft should include the whole code:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sambo-netmod-yang-fsm/?include_text=1

> 2. I didn't find "filter-type" in the yang definition described the
> section 7.2 of the document.
>

I think we removed it, but it is still in the text for a mistake. Please,
let me better check.

> 4.  "transition-type" takes a identity value "ON_CHANGE" . What other
> value can it assume. I am looking for some use cases.
>

This draft defines a general finite state machine. Then, each use case
should have a proper implementation with proper attributes' values.
Currently, the use case that we implemented is the reaction to a change of
BER (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sambo-ccamp-yang-fsm-transponder-reconf/),
thus we assumed that type of transition. Consider that the work is in
progress and if you have in mind other use cases we can include the values
you think are relevant. We are happy to collaborate with you on the
augmentation of the model. Regarding the transponder reconfiguration,
please check this implementation
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sambo-ccamp-yang-fsm-transponder-reconf/?include_text=1

Please, also consider that, there, the "filter" has been replaced with
"threshold-parameter" and "threshold-operator", but the concept is the
same, thus something which permits to better describe the transition.

> 4. The state-id-type  is defined as uint32.  Is there any reason why
> "identity" was not used. That way derived module could extent the state-id.
>

Currently, the identity is associated to the type of transition not to the
state, the state has an id and a description. If there is a reason to add
"identity" to the state, this is not a problem.

> 5. Is there other yang example where this generic FSM is being used.
>

the other identified use cases up to now (performance measurements,
telemetry) are described in draft-sambo-netmod-yang-fsm-04 . As above, we
implemented the case of transponder reconfiguration. But there are others
we are thinking about, also with respect to the ones already identified.

> 6. How do I join in the mailing list.
>

subscription here: https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/netmod/about/
I am already replying to the mailing list.

I am now on travel, let's update after January 6. We can set also a
conference call if it's easier.

Thanks and best regards,
Nicola