Subject: [netmod] IANA modules

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 14:15:58 +0200

Hi,

in a discussion in the yang-doctors mailing list, Acee noted that IANA probably
hasn't yet implemented a procedure for updating YANG modules corresponding to
IANA registries (such a procedure is specified, e.g., in the IANA Considerations
section of RFC 7224). It indeed seems to be the case - for example, a few new
interface types have been added recently to

https://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaiftype-mib/ianaiftype-mib

but the module iana-if-type only exists in revision 2014-05-08.

A part of the problem may be that there is AFAIK no authoritative repository for
YANG modules where IANA could put the new revisions.

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka
Head, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: 0xB8F92B08A9F76C67

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 14:26:35 +0200 (CEST)

Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> in a discussion in the yang-doctors mailing list, Acee noted that
> IANA probably hasn't yet implemented a procedure for updating YANG
> modules corresponding to IANA registries

I think that this is a false alarm.  IANA updates the modules
according to the process.

> (such a procedure is
> specified, e.g., in the IANA Considerations section of RFC 7224). It
> indeed seems to be the case - for example, a few new interface types
> have been added recently to
> 

See
https://www.iana.org/assignments/yang-parameters/yang-parameters.xhtml

The latest version is [email-masked]
https://www.iana.org/assignments/yang-parameters/[email-masked]

> YANG modules where IANA could put the new revisions.

See
https://www.iana.org/assignments/yang-parameters/yang-parameters.xhtml

This is the authoritative repo.  IANA gets new YANG modules directly
from the RFC editor before they are formatted into the ascii RFC.

/martin

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:04:29 +0200

> from the RFC editor before they are formatted into the ascii RFC.

Hmm, but then it is kept pretty secret:

- RFC 6020 only specifies the new registry "YANG Module Names" and media types
in IANA Considerations, not this authoritative module repository.

- YANG Catalog doesn't know about the recent revisions of iana-if-type.

Lada

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:15:06 +0200 (CEST)

> in IANA Considerations, not this authoritative module repository.

RFC 6020 defines the registry.  IANA maintains the registry.  The link
above is the link to this registry.  If you go to iana.org and search
for "YANG Module Names" this link is the first to be shown.

> - YANG Catalog doesn't know about the recent revisions of iana-if-type.

That's a completely different issue!

/martin

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:50:52 +0200

> for "YANG Module Names" this link is the first to be shown.

According to RFC 6020, it is "a registry for YANG module and submodule names".
Maybe I am ignorant, but I really didn't know that complete modules can also be
retrieved. Also, it seems that only the most recent revision of the iana-*
modules is kept there.

> That's a completely different issue!

Of course, but it shows that learning about existing modules & revisions (even
the standard ones) isn't particularly easy.

Lada

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 16:19:25 +0200 (CEST)

> retrieved. Also, it seems that only the most recent revision of the iana-*

Right.  So the relevant RFC is really RFC 7224, which defines the
initial version of iana-if-type, and the rules for when to update it.

Technically, there's a new IANA registry called "iana-if-type YANG
Module", which is found here:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-if-type/iana-if-type.xhtml

The fact that you can download the other YANG modules is a bonus ;-)

/martin

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 11:57:27 +0000

I think that there is another issue at least for ifType.

Somewhere there is a discussion on

>  Title           : Guidelines and Registration Procedures for
Interface Types
>  Authors      : David Thaler
>                      Dan Romascanu
> Filename       : draft-thaler-iftype-reg-01.txt
> Pages           : 9
> Date            : 2019-03-05
>
> Abstract:
>    The registration and use of interface types ("ifType" values)
>    predated the use of IANA Considerations sections and YANG modules,
>    and so confusion has arisen about the interface type allocation
>    process.  This document provides updated guidelines for the
>    definition of new interface types, for consideration by those who
are
>    defining, registering, or evaluating those definitions

from which I sort of get a flavour of 'These OAM people have been
messing up our beautiful register of ifType with their untidy MIB and
YANG modules and it is time to take back control'!

I did ask on the Netconf list if anyone knew where it was being
discussed and got no reply.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Bjorklund" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: [netmod] IANA modules

> The latest version is [email-masked]
https://www.iana.org/assignments/yang-parameters/iana-if-type@2019-02-08
.yang
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod