Subject: Re: [netmod] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-04.txt

From: john heasley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 07:42:06 +0000

In addition,the "factory-reset" RPC might also be used
   to trigger some other restoring and resetting tasks such as files
   cleanup, restarting the node or some of the software processes,
   setting some security data/passwords to the default value, removing
   logs, or removing any temporary data (from datastore or elsewhere),
   etc.

It seems that this should all be part of this draft.  An operation that
wipes a device for decommission is useful.  Whether it is a home or
commercial device.

---

From: Schönwälder, Jürgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 07:47:12 +0000

> wipes a device for decommission is useful.  Whether it is a home or

Yes to your point.

But every time I read the phrase "setting some security data/passwords
to the default value" I am feeling uneasy. The notion of 'default
passwords' is scary and a knob to restore default passwords even more
so. Perhaps the text should say instead 'removing security credentials
and restoring default security settings'.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: john heasley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 17:41:01 +0000

> and restoring default security settings'.

Yes, I'm suggesting that this "clearing" be a requirement, even if the
operator has the choice between clear "only the configuration" and
"everything."  "might" -> "MUST".

The fine line between too vague and too much detail must be found. >>>

In addition,the "factory-reset" RPC MUST
restore storage to factory condition, including
remove log files,
remove temporary files,
remove certificates, keys, etc
zero passwords,
<insert other things>

The process (SHOULD|MUST) zero/pattern-write then remove sensitive files
such as the TLS keys, configuration stores, etc.

The RPC MAY provide an option to limit the actions to factory reset of
the configuration.

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 19:27:11 +0000

> The RPC MAY provide an option to limit the actions to factory reset of

Strongly agree.

Kent // contributor