Subject: [netmod] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-yang-data-ext-04: (with COMMENT)

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 16:18:50 -0800

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netmod-yang-data-ext-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-data-ext/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 6. Recommend staying consistent with the standard YANG security
considerations (https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ops/wiki/yang-security-guidelines)
and at least include this following subset (or something like it) of the boiler
plate language:

   The YANG module in this document defines an extension in the YANG data
   modeling language that will be imported and used by other modules.  When
   imported and used, the resultant schema will have data nodes that can
   be writable, or readable.  The access to such data nodes may be
   considered sensitive or vulnerable in some network environments.
   Write operations (e.g., edit-config) to these data nodes without
   proper protection can have a negative effect on network operations.

Section 7.3.  What purpose will this section serve when published?  Is seems
like it could be removed.  The only use of the [1] reference is Appendix C
which is supposed to be removed before publication.

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 11:15:34 +0100 (CET)

Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Section 6. Recommend staying consistent with the standard YANG
> security considerations
> (https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ops/wiki/yang-security-guidelines) and
> at least include this following subset (or something like it) of the
> boiler plate language:
> 

Hmm, I can't find this text in the boilerplate.  As discussed with
Benjamin Kaduk, we believe that the reference to 7950 is sufficient.

> which is supposed to be removed before publication.

I have removed both 7.3 and Appendix C from my local copy.

/martin