Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Best practices to use JWT tokens as access tokens

From: Pedro Felix <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 17:51:22 +0000

Hi,

I'm considering using JWT tokens as access tokens in a scenario where the
AS is rather decoupled from the RS. Namely, the same AS with manage the
authorization for multiple RSs.
Using JWT for short-lived non-revocable access tokens means that the RS is
able to obtain all the authorization grant information without contacting
the AS or using a shared store.

My plan is to encode in the JWT token all the relevant authorization grant
information, namely:

1) The authorizing user (RO) claims
2) The authorized client information - at least its client_id, but there
can be more client info available
3) The authorized scopes

Are there any guidelines on how to represent this information as claims of
a JWT token? Namely, how can we group this info such that there are no
collisions between user claims and client claims?

Thanks
Pedro