Subject: [OAUTH-WG] draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-11 section 4.1

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 14:00:39 -0700

Section 4.1.  Forming the Client Configuration Endpoint URL

Why not discard the last three paragraphs? Server side implementers have a
problem in how to create a client-config endpoint & remember what it
applies to. I can think of several different ways you could approach this,
the spec guidance is superfluous.

---

From: Justin Richer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 12:39:39 -0400

We added this text to give examples of how to form the URL so that 
server developers would be able to see common patterns. Without this 
text, I heard from developers who thought that it *must* require a 
client_id query parameter, or that it *must* be a URL template, or that 
it *must* be different from the client registration endpoint at all. 
None of those are the case. The fact that there are several valid ways 
to implement this shows that we need some kind of guidance, and the fact 
is that it doesn't actually matter *what* the URL is at the end of the 
day as long as the client doesn't manipulate it and the server can make 
sense of it.

They also help enforce the point that clients MUST use the URL as-is 
without adding anything to it. There were some folks who thought that 
they client would need to take the URL as given by the server and add a 
query parameter to it, and that's not the case.

If this can be written better, I'd appreciate improved text or more 
examples, but I don't think that we can delete the guidance.

  -- Justin

On 06/05/2013 05:00 PM, Tim Bray wrote:
> Why not discard the last three paragraphs? Server side implementers 
> have a problem in how to create a client-config endpoint & remember 
> what it applies to. I can think of several different ways you could 
> approach this, the spec guidance is superfluous.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> OAuth mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth