Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Proposed OAuth 2.0 Assurance Panel at IIW next week

From: Dan Blum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 21:32:29 -0400

After spending some time over the last few months looking into OAuth
assurance issues, I decided that I'll propose a panel on the topic next
week at IIW. My initial take on the proposed session is described in the blog
post at this link<http://security-architect.blogspot.com/2013/10/proposed-oauth-assurance-session-at-iiw.html>
and
is summarized below as well. As I've written in several related articles,
OAuth 2.0 has some significant assurance issues. And while the community
did an excellent job documenting these issues in RFC 6819 on security
considerations, to my knowledge there hasn't been much discussion on how
the assurance of an implementation should be tested or on how customers or
relying parties are supposed to know whether a given implementation has
been implemented in a robust manner.

With all the work on OAuth 2.0 interoperability testing, I sense an
opportunity to inject some assurance testing into the process. Not full
penetration testing or vulnerability testing by any, but perhaps some basic
robustness testing. I would be interested in how we could define that and
whether interest is there in creating more intensive assurance tests
separately from basic interoperability ones.

*Title: *OAuth 2.0 Assurance
*
*
*Outline*
*
*
*Problem statement: *Provide an introduction to OAuth assurance based on my
blogs and RFC 6819

*General recommendations: *Also part of intro presentation, explain that
its necessary to address issues through profiling, testing and secure
implementation and operations

*Scope: *Focus on the basic OAuth 2.0 specification, not getting into
unresolved issues related to the many proposed extensions, such as token
contents, or semantics

*Discussion topic 1: *What would be a reasonable framework for OAuth 2.0
assurance levels, and how might those map to NIST Levels of Assurance
(LOAs) 1 or 2?

*Discussion topic 2:* What are "10 commandments" for Secure OAuth 2.0 (or
"10 deadly sins to avoid") and how would we test for them?

*Discussion topic 3:* Future plans - how can we carry the output of this
session forward? Is there a home somewhere for an OAuth 2.0 assurance
standards group? Would some organization (or group) be willing to work on
standing up a test server to look for the 10 deadly sins? Would some
organization (or group) be willing to work developing secure, open source
OAuth libraries validated to follow the 10 commandments?

I already have a few folks interested in this panel and contributing ideas
but would welcome a lot more. If you're attending IIW 17 and interested in
contributing, please let me know via one of my communications channels such
as @danblumSS or the comments thread on this post.

*Related posts*

   - REST Uneasy: Do we Need to Worry about OAuth
2.0?<http://security-architect.blogspot.com/2013/06/rest-uneasy-do-we-need-to-worry-about.html>
   - OAuth 2.0 Assurance
Issues<http://security-architect.blogspot.com/2013/07/oauth-20-assurance-issues.html>

   - Mitigating OAuth Security Issues with Good
Profiling<http://security-architect.blogspot.com/2013/07/mitigating-oauth-20-security-issues.html>

   - OAuth 2.0 and RESTful Protocol Security Testing
Challenges<http://security-architect.blogspot.com/2013/08/oauth-20-and-restful-protocol-security.html>
   - Piling on OAuth<http://security-architect.blogspot.com/2013/09/piling-on-oauth.html>

*Information on Internet Identity Workshop (IIW) *

   - http://iiw.idcommons.net/Main_Page
   - http://iiw.idcommons.net/images/1/13/IIW16_Book_of_Proceedings.PDF

Best regards,
Dan Blum
Respect Network
Principal Consultant and Chief Architect
http://security-architect.blogspot.com