Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Fwd: Last Call: <draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-oauth-22.txt> (A set of SASL Mechanisms for OAuth) to Proposed Standard

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 14:37:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I just wanted to call attention to this IETF Last Call; there were some
changes since the -18 which is the last one that we sent to this list.

-Ben

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 14:31:47 -0400
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [kitten] Last Call: <draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-oauth-22.txt> (A set of
    SASL Mechanisms for OAuth) to Proposed Standard

The IESG has received a request from the Common Authentication Technology
Next Generation WG (kitten) to consider the following document:
- 'A set of SASL Mechanisms for OAuth'
  <draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-oauth-22.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-05-14. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   OAuth enables a third-party application to obtain limited access to a
   protected resource, either on behalf of a resource owner by
   orchestrating an approval interaction, or by allowing the third-party
   application to obtain access on its own behalf.

   This document defines how an application client uses credentials
   obtained via OAuth over the Simple Authentication and Security Layer
   (SASL) to access a protected resource at a resource serve.  Thereby,
   it enables schemes defined within the OAuth framework for non-HTTP-
   based application protocols.

   Clients typically store the user's long-term credential.  This does,
   however, lead to significant security vulnerabilities, for example,
   when such a credential leaks.  A significant benefit of OAuth for
   usage in those clients is that the password is replaced by a shared
   secret with higher entropy, i.e., the token.  Tokens typically
   provide limited access rights and can be managed and revoked
   separately from the user's long-term password.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-oauth/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-oauth/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

This defines a way to use the obsolete OAUTH1.0a mechanism
as well an OAUTH2 mechanism. That is deliberate and reasonable.

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten