Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Protocol Action: 'OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-29.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:00:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-29.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Web Authorization Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg/

Technical Summary

   This specification defines mechanisms for dynamically registering OAuth 
   2.0 clients with authorization servers. Registration requests send a set 
   of desired client metadata values to the authorization server and the  
   resulting registration responses return a client identifier to use at 
   the authorization server and the client metadata values registered for 
   the client. The client can then use this registration information to 
   communicate with the authorization server using the OAuth 2.0 protocol. 

Working Group Summary

   The work on this document has gone through many iterations but there is 
   strong agreement behind the document. The document has experienced 
   working group last call twice: the first WGLC was in May 2013, which 
   revealed different deployment preferences by various OAuth participants. 
   Here is the link to the initial working group last call: 
   https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg11326.html 

   To resolve those disagreements took some time and a new working group 
   last call was started in April 2014 after the document was re-factored 
   and controversial parts had been moved to another specification. 

Document Quality

   Various implementations of the dynamic client registration protocol 
   exist. Examples of implementations can be found in the UMA and in the 
   OpenID Connect context, such as phpOIDC (see https://bitbucket.org/PEOFIAMP/phpoidc)
   Gluu, and Cloud Identity (as reported at the Kantara Initiative website 
   from an interop event that took place this year): 
   http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/UMA1+Interop+Participants+and+Solutions

Personnel

   Hannes Tschofenig is the document shepherd and 
   the responsible area director is Kathleen Moriarty. 

IANA Note

  This draft establishes 2 IANA registries.  The registry uses the 5226 'Specification Required'
  with designated expert review to an existing mailing list ([email-masked]).