Subject: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth Security Workshop -- July 14th and 15th 2016 in Trier/Germany

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 17:16:22 +0100

In context of the recent findings from researchers related to OAuth and
OpenID Connect, see announcement at
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg15336.html, we are
convinced that the wider Internet security community can help to improve
the security of Internet protocols.

In an attempt to reach out to security experts from research, industry,
and standardization we are announcing a workshop on OAuth security to be
held during the week before the summer IETF meeting, namely July 14th
and 15th 2016 in Trier/Germany. Our host will be the Chair for
Information Security and Cryptography at the University of Trier.

More details about the workshop, including registration information and
logistics, will be provided in the next few weeks. As such, this is
merely early planning information for those attending the summer IETF
meeting and for researchers looking into OAuth and related technologies.

In terms of the scope for the workshop we are seeking papers and talks
related to OAuth, OpenID Connect, and other technologies using OAuth
under the hood. Contributions of technologies that are used in OAuth,
such as JOSE, or impact the security of OAuth, such as Web technology,
are also welcome.

The workshop will be structured as a series of sessions punctuated by
invited speakers who will present their security findings, and relevant
background information that help participants reach a deeper
understanding of OAuth security. The organizing committee invites
security experts from research, industry, and standardization to submit
position papers to present their ideas and experiences at the workshop
(details to follow).

Participants will have to register for the workshop and we will have to
charge a small amount for food and drinks (unless we manage to find a
sponsor in time). We also plan to organize a  social event in the
evening of July 14th. This may include a guided sightseeing tour to some
of the eight world heritage sites in Germany’s oldest city Trier.

All presentations and papers will be put online but there will be no
formal proceedings. Therefore, abstracts submitted to the OAuth Security
Workshop may report on (unpublished) work in progress, be submitted to
other places, and they may even already have appeared or been accepted
elsewhere.

While the standardization process ensures extensive reviews, both
security and non-security related reviews, further analysis by security
experts from academia and industry is essential to ensure high quality
specifications. Your contribution can help to improve the security of
the Web and the Internet.

For further questions please contact the OAuth working group chairs at
[email-masked].