Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Rechartering OAuth: New Charter Text

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 21:15:33 +0100

Hi Barry,

as discussed today I am forwarding you the new charter text for the
OAuth working group.

In parallel to the IESG processing this re-chartering request we will
run a call for adoption to also update the milestone list at the same time.

Ciao
Hannes & Derek

--------------------------

Charter Text

The Web Authorization (OAuth) protocol allows a user to grant a
third-party Web site or application access to the user's protected
resources, without necessarily revealing their long-term credentials,
or even their identity. For example, a photo-sharing site that
supports OAuth could allow its users to use a third-party printing Web
site to print their private pictures, without allowing the printing
site to gain full control of the user's account and without having the
user share his or her photo-sharing sites' long-term credential with
the printing site.

The OAuth 2.0 protocol suite already includes

* a procedure for enabling a client to register with an authorization
server,
* a protocol for obtaining authorization tokens from an authorization
server with the resource owner's consent, and
* protocols for presenting these authorization tokens to protected
resources for access to a resource.

This protocol suite has been enhanced with functionality for
interworking with legacy identity infrastructure (e.g., SAML), token
revocation, token exchange, dynamic client registration, token
introspection, a standardized token format with the JSON Web Token, and
specifications that mitigate security attacks, such as Proof Key for
Code Exchange.

The ongoing standardization efforts within the OAuth working group
focus on increasing interoperability of OAuth deployments and to
improve security. More specifically, the working group is defining proof
of possession tokens, developing a discovery mechanism, providing
guidance for the use of OAuth with native apps, re-introducing
the device flow used by devices with limited user interfaces, additional
security enhancements for clients communicating with multiple service
providers, definition of claims used with JSON Web Tokens, techniques to
mitigate open redirector attacks, as well as guidance on encoding state
information.

For feedback and discussion about our specifications please
subscribe to our public mailing list at <oauth AT ietf.org>.

For security related bug reports that relate to our specifications
please contact <oauth-security-reports AT ietf.org>. If the reported
bug report turns out to be implementation-specific we will attempt
to forward it to the appropriate developers.

---

From: "Phil Hunt (IDM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:37:47 -0800

Hannes

I would like to propose a brief presentation on "events". While this might not end up being oauth wg activity, I think a lot of attendees may be interested. 

We might make this one of those if we have time topics. 

Phil

> On Jan 15, 2016, at 12:15, Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Barry,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> OAuth mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth