Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Publishing authentication level as first amr value

From: Mike Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 14:05:33 -0600

Gluu is working on a free open source app called Cred Mgr:
   github.com/GluuFederation/cred-mgr

As the name suggests, this app is a user-facing application that let's 
the person reset existing credentials and register new credentials. To 
avoid degrading the security of credentials, we want to make sure that a 
person can only reset a credential if they present one with equal or 
greater stength, or "level"

Cred-mgr knows the level, because we are returning it as the first value 
in the amr array in the id_token. We are also publishing a mapping of 
amr values to acr values in the OP discovery page. For example:

  "auth_level_mapping": {
         "50": ["http://example.com/saml"],
         "10": ["http://example.com/u2f", "http://example.com/duo"],
         "1": ["http://example.com/pw"]
     },

If we could agree on this appraoch, then it could be interoperable 
across domains. I don't see any other solutions being proposed, so no 
one can figure out how to properly handle multi-factor credential reset 
in a standard way.

- Mike

-------------------------------------
Michael Schwartz
Gluu
Founder / CEO
[email-masked]
http://support.gluu.org