Subject: [OAUTH-WG] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6749 (5332)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 07:32:38 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6749,
"The OAuth 2.0 Authorization Framework".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5332

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Donald F Coffin <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.1

Original Text
-------------
(B)  The authorization server authenticates the resource owner (via
     the user-agent) and establishes whether the resource owner
     grants or denies the client's access request.

Corrected Text
--------------
(B)  The authorization server validates the request to ensure that 
     all required parameters are present and valid.  If the request 
     is valid, the authorization server authenticates the resource 
     owner and obtains an authorization decision (by asking the 
     resource owner via the user-agent or by use of other 
     established approval means).

Notes
-----
"Section 4.1 Authorization Code Grant (B)" conflicts with "Section 4.1.1 Authorization
Request".  The current verbiage implies the resource owner should be authenticated 
prior to "The authorization server validates the request to ensure that all required 
parameters are present and valid".  Such implementations lead to overly complex 
user experiences when the Authorization Server determines the request is invalid.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6749 (draft-ietf-oauth-v2-31)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The OAuth 2.0 Authorization Framework
Publication Date    : October 2012
Author(s)           : D. Hardt, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Web Authorization Protocol
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG