Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Alexey Melnikov's No Objection on draft-ietf-oauth-device-flow-11: (with COMMENT)

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 09:26:03 -0700

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-oauth-device-flow-11: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-device-flow/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is generally a fine document and it was easy to follow.

I am agreeing with Benjamin's DISCUSS about amount of entropy in codes.

In addition, the last para in Section 6.1 reads:

   The server should ignore any characters like punctuation that are not
   in the user-code character set.  Provided that the character set
   doesn't include characters of different case, the comparison should
   be case insensitive.

This makes me uncomfortable, because you are talking of case-insensitivity,
without fully specifying what it is. I assume that your advice only
applies to user-code character sets which only use subset of ASCII?
Because if you mean to extend your advice to full Unicode, you need more text
and references here. Can you please clarify.