Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange-14

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2018 06:49:43 -0700

Reviewer: Jari Arkko
Review result: Ready

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange-14
Reviewer: Jari Arkko
Review Date: 2018-08-03
IETF LC End Date: 2018-08-06
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Summary:

This specification describes a standardised protocol for requesting and
receiving security tokens from an OAuth 2.0 authorisation service.

I had no experience on OAuth previously, but the document was understandable
and as far as I could determine, had no major issues.

It was a bit more difficult to determine completeness.  Security and privacy
considerations sections were quite short, for instance, and maybe that's
justifiable given the ability to refer to prior RFCs on this subject. However,
I suspect one could say more, e.g., Section 7 says "Tokens typically carry
personal information and their usage in Token Exchange may  reveal details of
the target services being accessed", but it does not offer any advice on how
such details might be minimised. But perhaps that's already in another RFC as
well.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

Nits/editorial comments:

---

From: Brian Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:49:04 -0600

Thanks for the review Jari,

Regarding minimizing details, I'm thinking that incorporating some text
along the lines of what's in the Privacy Considerations of RFC 7523
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7523#section-7> might be a worthwhile
addition.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 7:49 AM Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> OAuth mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth
>

-- 
_CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain confidential and privileged 
material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, 
distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have 
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately 
by e-mail and delete the message and any file attachments from your 
computer. Thank you._