Subject: [OAUTH-WG] [Errata Verified] RFC7636 (5687)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 09:05:56 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC7636,
"Proof Key for Code Exchange by OAuth Public Clients". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5687

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Collin Sauve <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2019-04-09
Verified by: Benjamin Kaduk (IESG)

Section: 5

Original Text
-------------
Server implementations of this specification MAY accept OAuth2.0
clients that do not implement this extension.  If the "code_verifier"
is not received from the client in the Authorization Request, servers
supporting backwards compatibility revert to the OAuth 2.0 [RFC6749]
protocol without this extension.

As the OAuth 2.0 [RFC6749] server responses are unchanged by this
specification, client implementations of this specification do not
need to know if the server has implemented this specification or not
and SHOULD send the additional parameters as defined in Section 4 to
all servers.

Corrected Text
--------------
Server implementations of this specification MAY accept OAuth2.0
clients that do not implement this extension.  If the "code_challenge"
is not received from the client in the Authorization Request, servers
supporting backwards compatibility revert to the OAuth 2.0 [RFC6749]
protocol without this extension.

As the OAuth 2.0 [RFC6749] server responses are unchanged by this
specification, client implementations of this specification do not
need to know if the server has implemented this specification or not
and SHOULD send the additional parameters as defined in Section 4 to
all servers.

Notes
-----
The code_verifier is not sent in the authorization request.

--------------------------------------
RFC7636 (draft-ietf-oauth-spop-15)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Proof Key for Code Exchange by OAuth Public Clients
Publication Date    : September 2015
Author(s)           : N. Sakimura, Ed., J. Bradley, N. Agarwal
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Web Authorization Protocol
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG