Subject: [OAUTH-WG] draft-parecki-oauth-v2-1-01 - inconsistencies regarding refresh tokens

From: Micah Silverman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 13:22:52 -0400

In section 1.5, step 8 in the flow says:

The authorization server authenticates the client and validates the refresh
token, and if valid, issues a new access token (and, optionally, a new
refresh token).

Also, Figure 2, step 8 says:

Access Token & Optional Refresh Token

Whether or not the refresh token is rotated (as defined in section 6),
doesn't the response always include a refresh token?

Since it seems likely that the more common use-case will be refresh token
rotation, perhaps the wording in section 1.5 should lean that way?

Perhaps 1.5, step 8 should say:

The authorization server authenticates the client and validates the refresh
token, and if valid, issues a new access token and a new refresh token (or
uses the same refresh token if certain security requirements are met).

Perhaps Figure 2, step 8 should say:

Access Token & Refresh Token

Best,

Micah