Subject: Re: Date fields

From: "Michael Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 14:07:26 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>     For split-keys (hope that's a OpenPGP feature and not just a PGP
> feature, have not checked the rfc) it may happen that parts of this

It's an NAI feature, not part of the OpenPGP spec.  The format
of share files does not resemble a "packet" (but the encrypted
data deep inside does).  While I'd like OpenPGP to include
a "split key" packet, I certainly wouldn't suggest the NAI format.
[Note that the split key is really a split symmetric key, not
a split of the whole secret key.]

I don't think the split material has any timestamp itself.

>     For non split-keys the problem may not be as serious. What may
> happen is that the user may receive an encrypted message with the

There should never be a problem *decrypting* using an expired key.

> security/legal problem. At most the lack of certain on the date the
> message was generated because there is a one day lag the the key have

Moreover, timestamps are only as trustworthy as the party
generating them.  You can always forge an old timestamp by
setting your clock (or adjusting your software :-).

I guess I don't understand the problem you're considering.