Subject: Re: OpenPGP vs. OpenPGP/MIME

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:07:24 -0600

From: John Dlugosz

Re compatibility: I use (don't laugh) Lotus Notes 4.5 at work, and it is
totally different from normal email.  It has a gateway to translate
internet mail into its own document format.

Mime attachments are turned into embedded documents at the end.

What would it do to PGP/MIME or any other use of MIME that requires knowing
the =meaning= of the parts?  I doubt it would work.

Regular old-fashond ASCII Armored PGP works fine.  With the GUI tools from
NAI, it's pretty simple to use via the clipboard even though L.N. is
totally unaware of it.

If the main point of PGP/MIME was to get mail readers to transparantly
handle PGP, it obviously has problems for readers that =don't=.  And mail
readers could just as easily be built to know about the ===BEGIN...===
lines.

Just to throw something out, how about ASCII-Armored PGP for the body of
the message, and MIME attachments for multiple (paralell) signatures?  For
that matter, they wouldn't need MIME, just another ASCII Armor'ed block
following the main one.

--John