Subject: literal data packet tags - nit

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:15:58 +0200

(Section 5.9)

The language about the "l" tag in the current draft correctly  
describes the implementation in PGP-2.6.  However, it does not  
describe what is in RFC 1991, which has "ASCII 1" instead - whatever 
that's supposed to mean.

Suggestion:  Instead of "RFC 1991 ... deprecated", use the following 
language:

	Earlier implementations also used a vlaue of 'l' as a  
	'local' mode for machine-local conversions.  In RFC 1991,  
	this value is (wrongly) given as 'ASCII 1'.  The use of  
	either of these literal data packet types is now deprecated.

(This is independent of any other changes we may wish to make to  
that section.)
-- 
Thomas Roessler                        <[email-masked]>

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:37:25 -0700

>	either of these literal data packet types is now deprecated.

Thanks. Here is what I put into bis-05:

Early versions of PGP also defined a value of 'l' as a 'local' mode for
machine-local conversions. RFC 1991 incorrectly stated this local mode flag
as '1' (ASCII numeral one). Both of these local modes are deprecated.

	Jon