Subject: Re: Clearsigning, MIME, etc.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:23:10 -0500

From: John Dlugosz

That is the official IANA name.  See
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets .  A while back, when
looking for the official name, that's the only one I could find!

Now, I see that windows-1252 is listed also.  They don't show date of
listing, but if the MIBenum is incremented each time, it's clearly a
recient addition.

iso-8859-1 is also listed, and it's a subset.  Windows started with that
and added glyphs in the C1 control area.

Marc Mutz <[email-masked]> on 04-18-2002 12:35:21 PM

To:   [email-masked], [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: Clearsigning, MIME, etc.

On Thursday 18 April 2002 18:31, [email-masked] wrote:
<snip>
> Use a header inside the PGP envelope to note the message's character set.
>      -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>      Hash: SHA2
>      Charset: ISO-8859-1-Windows-3.1-Latin-1
>
>      Message starts here...
> Now how many people are going to use the correct official name, when it's
> such a jawbreaker?  Look at the charset declaration in web pages, and
very
> few get it right.  So, better make that clear.
<snip>

Which charset should this be? The official, preferred mime-name is
"iso-8859-1", and nothing else should be used, though the recveiver should
understand other common names.

Marc

- --
Marc Mutz <[email-masked]>