Subject: Last Call: OpenPGP Message Format to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:47:34 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the An Open Specification for
Pretty Good Privacy Working Group to consider OpenPGP Message Format
<draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2003-2-24.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:06:52 -0800

><draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

This draft makes changes to a standards-track protocol but doesn't 
list what the changes are. There is a great deal of discussion about 
how various implementations have changed over time, but nothing (that 
I could find) listing the differences between this document and RFC 
2440. Such a list should be near the beginning (not the end) of the 
document.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:26:55 -0500

> <draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

I do not believe that bis-06 is ready yet.  There are still several
unresolved issues ranging from simple cut-and-paste errors to a new
signature class that was named, but the draft is missing any
explanation of how to generate it.

There was considerable discussion on the WG mailing list after bis-06
and I believe most of the issues were settled.  I am surprised to see
bis-06 and not a bis-07 being suggested for promotion.  Is this an
error?

David

-- 
   David Shaw  |  [email-masked]  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
   "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
      We don't believe this to be a coincidence." - Jeremy S. Anderson