Subject: Bis-07 submitted

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:49:45 -0800

I submitted bis-07, which should have been sent ages ago. It does not have
things in it that people have wanted for progressing to Draft. It has
conclusions of various talks about -06. There will have to be at last a -08
before we go to Draft.

    Jon

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:49:45 -0800
Subject: Bis-07 submitted
From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
To: OpenPGP <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]

I submitted bis-07, which should have been sent ages ago. It does not have
things in it that people have wanted for progressing to Draft. It has
conclusions of various talks about -06. There will have to be at last a -08
before we go to Draft.

    Jon

To: Dave Del Torto <[email-masked]>
Cc: Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]>, Bill Stewart <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Jeffrey I Schiller <[email-masked]>
From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: meeting in San Francisco?
Date: 27 Feb 2003 13:05:41 -0500
Lines: 56
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi Dave,

If you want me to arrange with the secretariat I can try to obtain a
room on Saturday or Sunday..  My flight arrives at 2:46 on Sat, so I
don't expect to get up to the city until at least 4-4:30.

If you want me to pursue a room I can do so.  Just let me know what
you want/need.

-derek

Dave Del Torto <[email-masked]> writes:

> At 3:28 PM -0500 2003-02-19, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]> writes:
> >>  Is there a meeting planned in San Francisco?  Is there an agenda?
> >>  Is there a call for an agenda?  Is there interest in a meeting?
> >
> >I dont know.  No.  There should be.  Good question..
> >
> >Feedback?
> 
> 
> OK, I'll set up an "Ides of March" CP meeting for the day before the
> IETF starts (15 March) in San Francisco. Details will be up on the
> web as soon as we work them out.
> 
> I'll contact the IETF folks to see if we can hold it in a room in the
> Hilton, but failing that, we'll find someplace nearby. Derek, if you
> have any juice with them, can you hook me up with someone who might
> lend us a room?
> 
> Now, who wants to step up and help me put together an agenda?
> 
> 0. OpenPGP news
> 1. HKS <url?>
> 2. CryptoRights/HIGHFIRE <https://www.cryptorights.org/highfire>
> 3. OpenSSL Security ?
> 4. PGP Corp News?
> 5. Homeland Defense/TIA-TTIC/etc ?
> 6. ?
> 
> Any other ideas?
> 
>     dave
> 
> _____________________________________________________________________
>   Dave Del Torto                         president/executive director
>   +1.415.334.5533 #1                  CryptoRights Foundation (501c3)
>   http://www.cryptorights.org/ddt     Securing Human Rights Worldwide
>   https://www.cryptorights.org/join/register.php

-- 
       Derek Atkins
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com

To: Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: meeting in San Francisco?
Date: 19 Feb 2003 15:28:20 -0500
Lines: 15
Sender: [email-masked]

Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is there a meeting planned in San Francisco?  Is there an agenda?
> Is there a call for an agenda?  Is there interest in a meeting?

I dont know.  No.  There should be.  Good question..

Feedback?

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 06:23:15 -0800
To: [email-masked]
From: Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]>
Subject: meeting in San Francisco?
Sender: [email-masked]

Is there a meeting planned in San Francisco?  Is there an agenda?
Is there a call for an agenda?  Is there interest in a meeting?

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:35:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Len Sassaman <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Obituary for Janis Jagars (Disastry) 
Sender: [email-masked]

Janis Jagars, known to many people on the Internet by his handle Disastry,
was a prolific programmer who made numerous valuable contributions to the
Internet. I am afraid I cannot do his memory justice, having known him
only a short number of years and only through his work on privacy
enhancing programs, but he earned my respect and appreciation for his
achievements in that area.

I first "met" Janis Jagars while I was employed by PGP Security. In
preparation for the release of PGP 7, I located and contacted the people
responsible for other implementations of OpenPGP, in order to set up
interop testing. Janis was working on updating the DOS-aware PGP 2.6.3i
program to work with modern implementations of PGP. His work on that
program, and his presence in the IETF OpenPGP working group, helped to
smooth over a number of PGP compatibility problems. On the PGP newsgroups
and mailing lists, Janis helped many new PGP users get started using email
encryption, and tirelessly answered support questions for privacy-related
programs. To my knowledge, Janis operated the only anonymous remailer to
exist in Latvia.

Janis was, by the original definition, a true Cypherpunk. He believed that
privacy was a right that must not be denied to Internet users, and he
wrote code to help ensure that it could not be.

When he needed a way to easily send encrypted email through Netscape, he
wrote a plugin. When he wanted a way to mount PGPdisk volumes under Linux,
he wrote a conversion tool. When Windows users wanted a pre-compiled
version GnuPG, Janis gave them one. Janis understood that the fight for
Internet privacy must take place at the hands of programmers, and he rose
to the challenge of bring useful privacy-enhancing programs into
existence, and into the hands of the public.

Immediately after the terrorist attacks in September, 2001, I took over
maintenance of the Mixmaster anonymous remailer project. Mixmaster had
been unmaintained for over a year, and needed serious work. I was
delighted when I received email from Janis, offering his help. Over the
next year, entirely of his own initiative, Janis ported Mixmaster's server
functionality to Windows, brought Mixmaster's OpenPGP support from an
unstable "alpha" state to a solid, usable feature set, and established
himself as an invaluable member of the Mixmaster development team. The
upcoming Mixmaster 3.0 release features a number of crucial improvements
which would not have happened had it not been for Janis's involvement.

My last communication with Janis was on October 11th of last year. He had
planned a vacation in Nepal, and expected to return a month later. When he
did not return, we feared the worst. Sadly, it turns out that our fears
were true: On October 31, while descending from Lobuche summit, Janis fell
250m, and did not survive.

I am dedicating this year's CodeCon conference to Janis's memory. Janis
will be missed, but his contributions will still be appreciated and
utilized. It is my hope that Janis's work will serve as an example for
other like-minded programmers, who chose to give their time and code in
the name of free speech and privacy.

Len Sassaman
13 February 2003
San Francisco, CA

--

Janis's home page may be viewed here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010927055328/disastry.dhs.org/
News of his accident can be found here:
http://www.vertikalex.lv/minisurvey/Discussion/ShowMessage.asp?ID=4703

Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:26:55 -0500
From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Last Call: OpenPGP Message Format to Proposed Standard
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 03:47:34PM -0500, The IESG wrote:
> 
> 
> The IESG has received a request from the An Open Specification for
> Pretty Good Privacy Working Group to consider OpenPGP Message Format
> <draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

I do not believe that bis-06 is ready yet.  There are still several
unresolved issues ranging from simple cut-and-paste errors to a new
signature class that was named, but the draft is missing any
explanation of how to generate it.

There was considerable discussion on the WG mailing list after bis-06
and I believe most of the issues were settled.  I am surprised to see
bis-06 and not a bis-07 being suggested for promotion.  Is this an
error?

David

-- 
   David Shaw  |  [email-masked]  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
   "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
      We don't believe this to be a coincidence." - Jeremy S. Anderson

Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:06:52 -0800
To: [email-masked]
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Last Call: OpenPGP Message Format to Proposed Standard
Cc: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]

>The IESG has received a request from the An Open Specification for
>Pretty Good Privacy Working Group to consider OpenPGP Message Format
><draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

This draft makes changes to a standards-track protocol but doesn't 
list what the changes are. There is a great deal of discussion about 
how various implementations have changed over time, but nothing (that 
I could find) listing the differences between this document and RFC 
2440. Such a list should be near the beginning (not the end) of the 
document.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
SUBJECT: Last Call: OpenPGP Message Format to Proposed Standard
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:47:34 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]

The IESG has received a request from the An Open Specification for
Pretty Good Privacy Working Group to consider OpenPGP Message Format
<draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2003-2-24.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt