Subject: OpenPGP.org and GnuPG

From: pplf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:20:51 +0100

Hello,

The web site www.openpgp.org has no link at all for GnuPG versions on 
his page download : http://www.openpgp.org/resources/downloads.shtml

The links given to download OpenPGP are the pgp.com, pgpi.com, or 
web.mit.edu/network/pgp links.

The name "GnuPG" or GPG appears only at the "Members" page.

I think it is not a good thing : GnuPG is the most famous free OpenPGP 
version and it must be here.

Last week, I had a discussion by e-mail with Philip Zimmermann, and I 
said him some people may think he is misappropriating the name 
"OpenPGP.org", and that he done this because he sells PGP(tm) 
www.pgp.com and FileCrypt www.veridis.com/openpgp/

Philip Zimmermann replied me that the "Download" page at the openpgp.org 
web site was not updated since his beginning (2 or 3 years ago, I 
think), then he said me in another e-mail that I was "insulting" him.

Unfortunately, he didn't changed the "Download" page at www.openpgp.org 
and GnuPG is still not there :-(

Do you think it is a good thing that GnuPG is not shown in the 
www.openpgp.org "Download" page ?

I see by doing a whois that the domain "openpgp.org" is owned by the 
"OpenPGP Research Group".

domain:		OPENPGP.ORG
owner-address:	OpenPGP Research Group
owner-address:	C/O Terje Elde
owner-address:	C/O Jan Pedersen
owner-address:	Granliveien 1
owner-address:	N-1406
owner-address:	Ski
owner-address:	Norway

Do you know if this "OpenPGP Research Group" part of the IETF-OpenPGP 
working group ?

Thanks,

pplf

-- 
pplf - French OpenPGP page    <[email-masked]>
"OpenPGP en francais"         PGP: 8263 8399 2074 5277 a6d3
http://www.openpgp.fr.st           622d 1b66 ea3d caa0 8c94

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 2003 19:52:35 -0500

No, openpgp.org is not related to the OpenPGP IETF Working Group.

-derek

pplf <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip Zimmermann replied me that the "Download" page at the
> openpgp.org web site was not updated since his beginning (2 or 3 years
> ago, I think), then he said me in another e-mail that I was
> "insulting" him.
> 
> Unfortunately, he didn't changed the "Download" page at
> www.openpgp.org and GnuPG is still not there :-(
> 

-- 
       Derek Atkins
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com

---

From: pplf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:26:48 +0100

> his page download : http://www.openpgp.org/resources/downloads.shtml

The problem is fixed. See below :

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: GnuPG and the OpenPGP.org web site
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:12:25 -0800
From: Philip Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
To: Anthony E. Greene <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]

I just updated the download section of the openpgp.org web site.  It
had not been updated for about two years.  It really needs more links
for more source code.  If anyone wants to send me info about other
products or projects in the openpgp arena, I could use the help.  -prz

On Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003, at 05:36 US/Pacific, Anthony E. Greene
wrote:

 > Mr. Zimmermann,
 >
 > I have been a PGP user and privacy advocate for years. I am bothered by
 > the omission of a link to GnuPG on the Download page of the OpenPGP.org
 > web site.  GnuPG is the second most widely used OpenPGP application,
 > and
 > the only one that ships with an operating system (actually, I believe
 > it
 > ships with more than one OS). There are email clients that are designed
 > specifically to include support for GnuPG. GnuPG, as implied by it's
 > name,
 > is part of the GNU Project, and is not going to go away anytime soon.
 >
 > The omission of GnuPG may indeed be a simple human omission on an old
 > seldom-updated site, but the situation has endured for too long. The
 > omission now appears to be deliberate, whatever the truth may be.
 >
 > GnuPG is significant. There should be a link to it on the Download
 > page of
 > the OpenPGP web site.
 >
 > --
 > Anthony E. Greene
 > <mailto:[email-masked]%3E>
 > OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94
 > 239D
 > AOL/Yahoo Messenger: TonyG05    HomePage:
 > <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/>
 > Linux. The choice of a GNU generation <http://www.linux.org/>
 >

----------------------------------------------
Philip R Zimmermann        [email-masked]
http://philzimmermann.com  tel +1 650 322-7377
(spelled with 2 n's)       fax +1 650 322-7877

_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users

---

From: Mike Markowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:58:23 -0600

>www.openpgp.org "Download" page ?

Now that *that* has been corrected, it might be worth pointing out to Phil
that RFC2440 is NOT an IETF "Standard" so that he can correct that error
(which appears on numerous pages throughout the site).

For example, http://www.openpgp.org/about_openpgp/ says:
"By becoming an IETF standard (<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2440.txt>RFC 
2440), OpenPGP ..."

while http://www.openpgp.org/technical/ says:
"The OpenPGP standard is defined by the OpenPGP Working Group of the Internet
Engineering Task Force (<http://www.ietf.org/>IETF) standard 
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2440.txt>RFC 2440."

Perhaps Phil needs to read http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt so that the 
subtle
difference in meaning between "RFC" and a "IETF Standard" is more clear. Or 
is he
using "standard," as opposed to "Standard," as a synonym for "Proposed 
Standard?"
It's hard to tell. <g>)

"Standards" are the RFCs listed in the the *first* table on
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html, not just anything that appears on
that page.

Good luck!

-mjm

==========
Michael J. Markowitz, Ph.D.        Email: [email-masked]
Vice President R&D                 Voice: 708-445-1704 (Oak Park)
Information Security Corporation          847-405-0500 (Deerfield)
1011 Lake Street, Suite 212        Fax:   708-445-9705
Oak Park, IL  60301                WWW:   http://www.infoseccorp.com