Subject: Dash escaping consensus?

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:42:42 -0800

What's the consensus? Any line may be dash-escaped, or only "From "? I wrote
it the first way, changed it to the second, and it seems we're back to the
first.

    Jon

---

From: Matthew Byng-Maddick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:50:27 +0000

> it the first way, changed it to the second, and it seems we're back to the

My instinctive reaction on this is that ``An implementation MAY dash escape
any line, SHOULD dash escape lines commencing "From", and MUST dash escape
any line commencing in a dash.''

This would make it nice and unambiguous, IMO.

Also ``An implementation MUST strip the string "- " if it occurs at the
beginning of a line, and SHOULD warn on "-" and any character other than
a space at the beginning of a line.''

My 0.02 (insert favourite currency here)

MBM

-- 
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <[email-masked]>           http://colondot.net/

---

From: "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:31:07 -0500

On Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003, at 06:50 US/Eastern, Matthew Byng-Maddick 

> a space at the beginning of a line.''

Seconded.

-J

---

From: Werner Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:25:27 +0100

> it the first way, changed it to the second, and it seems we're back to the

I'd say, the first.  Matthew Byng-Maddick wording would be okay too.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

---

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:18:49 -0500

> any line commencing in a dash.''

I'm okay with this wording.  It helps point out the "From " issue.

David