Subject: OpenPGP Administrivia

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2003 13:24:11 -0400

Hi,

As was announced yesterday, I'm the new chair of OpenPGP.  My goals
(as somewhat explained to me by the ADs) are to finish up the existing
work and try to ramp down the WG.  This means finishing up all the
open issues, getting 2440bis out the door, and either shutting down
or rechartering based on what else is left to do.

Another task that I've been asked is to use an online system to keep
track of all the open issues.  To further this end we've had an RT
Queue created at https://rt.psg.com/ to keep track of all the open
issues.  I'd like to try to use this system to make sure we don't lose
anything through the cracks.  However, I'm as new to this as you are,
so this is going to be a learning experience for all of us.  The ADs
have asked for me to write up the issues with using RT.

However, one thing I am lacking is a list of open issues in the
existing work.  I'm hoping that John or Jon has a list so we can seed
the RT queue.  If all else fails I can go re-read the last year's
worth of email and try to glom out the open issues (but I suspect many
of the issues are older than that).  You can send issues to the list,
to me directly, or add them to the RT queue.

Lastly, Vienna is coming up soon (well, soonish)...  If we're going to
meet I need to know if we have topics to discuss, and if so what they
are and how long it will take.  We still have plenty of time to request
a slot, but as always the early-bird gets the good slots ;)

That's all for now, from your friendly neighborhood working-group chair.

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2003 13:53:05 -0400

A clueful member of the WG asked:

> What is the username and password for the RT?

Unfortunately I was just informed that the RT Queue is not completely
set up for public access, yet.  I'm sorry for jumping the gun on
publishing the URL.  I'll let you know the guest username/password
when I find it out.  I'm an RT newbie myself and have never used it
before, so I was unaware of the lack of prominent guest account.

I'll be sure to mail out the info as soon as I find it.

-derek

> Derek Atkins <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Hi,
> >

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 14:31:47 -0400

>I'll be sure to mail out the info as soon as I find it.

To amplify what Derek said -- this is intended to be very open, but 
we're just not there yet.  The server was set up (literally) yesterday; 
we haven't finished configuring it yet.

My goal as AD is to make simple-to-use management tools available to 
all WG chairs.  We need to learn what functions are needed, and how 
best to use common tools.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)

---

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 17:50:44 -0400

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 01:24:11PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> existing work.  I'm hoping that John or Jon has a list so we can
> seed the RT queue.  If all else fails I can go re-read the last
> year's worth of email and try to glom out the open issues (but I
> suspect many of the issues are older than that).  You can send
> issues to the list, to me directly, or add them to the RT queue.

One thing that would be useful would be to know exactly where we stand
now in 2440bis.  The last draft was bis-07 from March, but there have
been a number of issues discussed since then, and it is not clear
which were incorporated (or earmarked for later incorporation) into
the draft.  A diff (or an 08) would be extremely helpful.

David

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2003 18:16:23 -0400

This is indeed part of what I was looking for.  Jon, what's the
current status of the work on -08?

-derek

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 15:47:22 -0700

> current status of the work on -08?

I have a number of changes done. What I have pending is some work
deprecating old stuff as we've discussed. We also need to break up the
references into normative and non-normative. Those are the big ones.

I am looking forward to having a place where issues can be stored.

    Jon

---

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 15:20:40 -0400

> or rechartering based on what else is left to do.

I'm curious what shutting down actually entails.  Once 2440bis is
complete, what happens when/if something needs to happen in the
OpenPGP space?  Is the WG officially reconvened, or are things not
that formal?  Even if the WG is shut down, I think it would be useful
if this mailing list would continue to exist.  It is a good forum,
with an excellent signal to noise ratio, and it reaches nearly all of
the people working on OpenPGP today.

David

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 17:45:20 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, David Shaw writes:
>
>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA1
>

Mailing lists can (and often do) continue indefinitely.

As for the WG -- it can go dormant, or it can be disbanded.  If there's 
a need for a new WG in that space, one can be spun up -- the issue 
would be the charter, since any new WG would be doing something 
different.  Minor changes could be done by individual submissions.

---

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 15:20:40 -0400

David