Subject: Re: Suggested DER Prefixes

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 07:30:40 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Jon Callas writes:

>
>> P.S. Just out of curiosity, what in the heck is "DES/SK"?
>>    any references?
>
>It is an improvement on DES from Uri Blumenthal and Steve Bellovin. Here's a
>reference: <http://www.research.att.com/~smb/papers/ides.pdf>. It's a way to
>get reasonable security out of DES without having to do 3DES. It's a pretty
>cool idea, but it never went anywhere, for a number of reasons.
>

And with the advent of AES, I don't forsee anyone using it.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:40:21 +1200

Derek Atkins <[email-masked]> writes:
>"Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>Hmm... if I read you correctly that would imply that AES-256 with a
>>key containing 128 bits of entropy is less secure than AES-128 with a
>>key containing 128 bits of entropy. Do you know of a document where
>>this would be explained?
>
>I certainly did not say "less secure", did I?  It's certainly much SLOWER,

"very slightly slower", although given people's obsession with speed at any
cost I guess it'd be safe to say "unacceptably (to the user) slower".

Peter.