Subject: Incompatibility between NAI command line and PGP 8.0 keys

From: "Hal Finney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:00:59 -0700

Hi, at NAI we have a report that some PGP 8.0 keys can't be imported
into the NAI "E-Business Server" command line version 7.1.1.  Can
someone post an 8.0-generated key and I will see if there are any
problems importing it?  We want to be sure and retain compatibility
between the various OpenPGP implementations if possible.

Hal Finney

---

From: Will Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:53:47 -0700

This sounds to me very much like a private key format issue and not a 
general public key issue. We made many changes in PGP 8 to adhere to 
the OpenPGP RFC more closely and improve compatibility with other 
OpenPGP implementations. As part of this, changing the passphrase of a 
key or generating a new key in PGP 8.0.2+ will use the newer 0xFE 
private key format from the Secret Key Packet Formats section of the 
draft.

As we have already published this source, these changes are on our 
website. The affected files are:

  libs2/pgpsdk/priv/crypto/hash/pgpHash.c
  libs2/pgpsdk/priv/crypto/hash/pgpHashPriv.h
  libs2/pgpsdk/priv/crypto/hash/pgpChecksum.c
  libs2/pgpsdk/priv/crypto/hash/pgpChecksum.h
  libs2/pgpsdk/priv/crypto/keys/pgpKeyMan.c
  libs2/pgpsdk/priv/crypto/pubkey/pgpDSAKey.c
  libs2/pgpsdk/priv/crypto/pubkey/pgpKeyMisc.c
  libs2/pgpsdk/priv/crypto/pubkey/pgpKeyMisc.h
  libs2/pgpsdk/priv/crypto/pubkey/pgpRSAKey.c

Thanks!
-- Will

Will Price, VP Engineering
PGP Corporation