Subject: Re: Fwd: RFC 3156, status of RFC 2015

From: "John W. Noerenberg II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:20:58 -0700

At 9:38 AM -0700 10/24/03, Bob Braden wrote:
>suppose a specification was
>developed by an individual or organization outside the IETF process,
>but published as an Informational RFC.  That often happens, in fact.
>Suppose that the IETF then takes this specification into the standards
>track, resulting in publication of a new version of the spec as a
>Proposed Standard.  The PS will obsolete the Informational RFC.

You raise a good point I hadn't considered.  However, my original 
question is still unanswered:

"Can the WG chair request the Editor amend 2440 with the note that it 
Obsoletes 1991?"

Derek, I apologize for not doing so earlier, but I'll send you the 
note which originated this discussion.  To show how out-of-touch I've 
become I didn't discover until today that you'd agreed to take on the 
job WG Chair after I asked to step down.
-- 

john noerenberg
[email-masked]
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
   A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
   -- Lao Tzu (c. 570-490 B.C.)
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Oct 2003 22:38:19 -0400

> "Can the WG chair request the Editor amend 2440 with the note that it

It's not worth our time to worry about 2440.  We can add the text to
2440bis and do it then.

Jon: I believe a simple "Obsoletes: 1991, 2440" is sufficient in the
document header on the first page.

> job WG Chair after I asked to step down.

No need for you to appologize, John.  The person who should really be
appologizing is Alfred who completely mis-addressed his original
email.

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:55:05 -0800

> document header on the first page.

Done.

	Jon

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:55:05 -0800

Done.

	Jon