Subject: Re: Let's finish up 0x50 "notary" signatures

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:58:14 -0800

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:59:59 -0800 David Shaw <[email-masked]>
wrote:
>
>The current state of the 0x50 or notary signature is nearly, but
>not
>quite, completed.  The main thing missing is a machine-readable
>transport of a signature and it's notarization.
>
>The current language in the draft is:
>
>   0x50: Third-Party Confirmation signature.
>
>      This signature is a signature over some other OpenPGP signature
>      packet(s). It is a notary seal on the signed data. A third-
>party
>      signature SHOULD include Signature Target subpacket(s) to
>give
>      easy identification. 

can this be extended to be used as notary signature directly on someone's
public key?

(it would not provide an independent timestamp to the actual signature
of the key-holder, but might be able to eventually improve the web-of-
trust)

with Respect,

vedaal

Concerned about your privacy? Follow this link to get
FREE encrypted email: https://www.hushmail.com/?l=2

Free, ultra-private instant messaging with Hush Messenger
https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434

Promote security and make money with the Hushmail Affiliate Program: 
https://www.hushmail.com/about.php?subloc=affiliate&l=427

---

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:25:17 -0500

> can this be extended to be used as notary signature directly on someone's

A notary can issue a notary signature on any signature, which includes
key certifications.  Placing the notary signature in a
signature-in-a-subpacket on the unhashed area of the original
signature would be an effective way of transporting the notary sig
around with the key.

David