Subject: Re: filenames of encrypted attachments visible ? How hard would it be to hide?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 06:10:28 -0800

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 05:06:54 -0800 Ralf Hauser <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>To my understanding,
>
>If I send a message with attachments, the attachment filename is
>visible
>without cryptanalysis.
>Would it be hard to give the encrypted file a random name and only
>upon
>decryption, give it back its real name?

there is a simple workaround you might be interested in:

armor the attachment (without encryption) and include the armored attachment
as part of the plaintext of the message, and then encrypt the entire
message

not only the filename, but even the fact that you are sending an attachment,

will not be apparent
(although it may be guessed at by the size of the message)

vedaal

Concerned about your privacy? Follow this link to get
FREE encrypted email: https://www.hushmail.com/?l=2

Free, ultra-private instant messaging with Hush Messenger
https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434

Promote security and make money with the Hushmail Affiliate Program: 
https://www.hushmail.com/about.php?subloc=affiliate&l=427