Subject: Re: IDEA in v3-v4 conflict (was Re: OpenPGP at IETF-59 Draft Minutes #1)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:57:55 -0800

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:44:04 -0800 Jon Callas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> {that said, many of us are still holding on to our v3 keys,
>> at least till all the subkey signing issues are resolved ;-) }
>>
>
>Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.
>
>Derek and I went through the issues from Seoul this afternoon, and
>>
>that's resolved now. A draft should come out soon -- he's going to
>post 
>some things about the remaining open issues where there's no text.

great!

but what about the difference in subkey production?

will PGP generate/allow addition of subkeys that can sign as well as
encrypt?

it might be necessary if the requirement is for the subkey to sign the
master, and the master to sign the subkey

>Does this mean you think I should strip out all V3 keys now? I'd
>be 
>happy to put out an interim draft RSN to just put a nail in V3 keys
>as 
>you suggest. :-)
>
>	Jon
>
>(In case it's not clear, I really am joking)

{it is clear ;-) }

but the truth is, 
it probably wouldn't matter,

the hardline v3 users don't rely primarily on servers for key exchange

vedaal

Concerned about your privacy? Follow this link to get
FREE encrypted email: https://www.hushmail.com/?l=2

Free, ultra-private instant messaging with Hush Messenger
https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434

Promote security and make money with the Hushmail Affiliate Program: 
https://www.hushmail.com/about.php?subloc=affiliate&l=427

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:58:26 -0500

> but what about the difference in subkey production?

What about them?

> will PGP generate/allow addition of subkeys that can sign as well as

Of course.

> master, and the master to sign the subkey

The requirement for a back-signature is only for signature keys.
Encrypt-only subkeys don't need it.

<chair hat>

Version -10 of the document should be out soon.  In the meantime I'll
send out the list of issues (both open and closed) soon.  My hope is
that we can get all the issues closed and then move to last call.  My
intention is to initiate a WGLC when the list of open issues is
emptied.

Note to people opening issues:  Please supply text!  If you do not
supply text when bringing up an issue with the document then we have
nothing specific to discuss, which makes it harder to focus the
discussions on the endgame: a finished document.  So, when you
find an issue please give the document section(s), the existing
text, and your suggested changes to the text.

Thank you!

</chair hat>

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant