Subject: OpenPGP Trust Algorithm

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:12:52 -0500

Len Sassaman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wouldn't say that they didn't define trust. PGP has internal trust
> calculation algorithms, which happen not to be documented within the IETF.
> I have always thought this unfortunate. I agree that trust calculation
> should be orthogonal to the OpenPGP message format specification, but I do
> wish that it were documented.

You are welcome to write an I-D that describes this algorithm
and present it to the working group.  I think this would be in-scope,
and if not we could recharter to include it.

-derek
-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:54:53 +0100

> wish that it were documented.

Well, right now, the format specification already specifies some parts
of the trust model (issues surrounding revocation, for instance).  This
should probably removed from the format spec, to preserve orthogonality.

-- 
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: atlas.cz, bigpond.com, freenet.de, hotmail.com,
libero.it, netscape.net, postino.it, tiscali.co.uk, tiscali.cz,
tiscali.it, voila.fr, wanadoo.fr, yahoo.com.