Subject: Removing Elgamal Sigs

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:35:43 -0800

Since sending in -10, I have removed Elgamal signatures (it was the 
next thing on my list to do).

Section 9.1 now says:

        20         - Reserved (formerly Elgamal Encrypt or Sign)

I put this in 12.6, on reserved identifiers:

    Previous versions of OpenPGP permitted Elgamal [ELGAMAL] signatures
    with a public key identifier of 20. These are no longer permitted.
    An implementation MUST NOT generate such keys. An implementation
    MUST NOT generate Elgamal signatures.

(I also removed the reference to DES/SK in 12.6, this should have been 
done long ago.)

I thought about adding more text into 12.6 about what to do with an 
existing key or signature, but didn't add anything. The reason is that 
I think it should be just fine for an implementation to treat 20 the 
same way as any other illegal or reserved identifier, and also just 
fine for an implementation to migrate keys, verify signatures but alert 
that they're possibly forged, or any other reasonable thing. 
Consequently, the less said the better. Simplify, simplify.

	Jon