Subject: [ISSUE] A collection of fussy language nits

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:07:04 -0500

Here's a small collection of language and wording nits for bis-10.
None of these should have any operational consequences.

David

##############

Section 2.5 (Signature-Only Applications) misspells "non-conformant"
as "non-comformant".

##############

Section 5.2.3.23 (Reason for Revocation) refers to a User ID in one
spot as a "User id".  "id" should be capitalized like everywhere else
in the document.

##############

Section 5.2.4 (Computing Signatures), and section 10.1 (Transferable
Public Keys) need the word "type" inside the parentheses with the
number 0x19.  This is to be consistent with other examples.

##############

Section 5.5.3 (Secret Key Packet Formats) in the sentence:

      - [Optional] If secret data is encrypted (string-to-key usage
        octet not zero), Initial Vector (IV) of the same length as the
        cipher's block size.

needs an "an" before "Initial Vector".

##############

Throughout the document, the expansion of MPI is "multi-precision
integer" around half the time, and "multiprecision integer" the other
half (minus the hyphen).  Similarly, "Triple-DES" is occasionally
"TripleDES".  I have no strong feeling which spelling is better, but
we should be consistent.

##############

Section 4.2.3 (Packet Length Examples) has the following paragraph:

    An implementation MAY use Partial Body Lengths for data packets,
    be they literal, compressed, or encrypted. The first partial
    length MUST be at least 512 octets long. Partial Body Lengths MUST
    NOT be used for any other packet types.

I believe this paragraph should be moved one section up to section
4.2.2.4 (Partial Body Lengths) as 4.2.2.4 is where partial body
lengths are actually defined and 4.2.3 is just examples.

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:55:59 -0800

> None of these should have any operational consequences.

Done.

Done.

Done.

Done.

I picked "multiprecision" and "TripleDES".

Done.

	Jon