Subject: suggested text for Public Subkey Packet section

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:54:58 -0800

in the just released draft,
the section about public subkeys reads as follows:

=================[ begin quote ]======================================

5.5.1.2. Public Subkey Packet (Tag 14)

    A Public Subkey packet (tag 14) has exactly the same format as a
    Public Key packet, but denotes a subkey. One or more subkeys may
be
    associated with a top-level key.  By convention, the top-level key
    provides signature services, and the subkeys provide encryption
    services.

==================[ end quote ]=======================================

suggested additional text:

"Implementations MAY generate subkeys that can sign only, can encrypt
only, or can both sign and encrypt. Implementations SHOULD recognize
signatures from a signing subkey."

Also, 
is this a good place to include the issue of signatures linking the subkey
to the master key and master key to the subkey?

with Respect,

vedaal

Concerned about your privacy? Follow this link to get
FREE encrypted email: https://www.hushmail.com/?l=2

Free, ultra-private instant messaging with Hush Messenger
https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434

Promote security and make money with the Hushmail Affiliate Program: 
https://www.hushmail.com/about.php?subloc=affiliate&l=427