Subject: Key size suggestions

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:54:33 -0400

This is more of a question to the WG.  I'll make a formal change
suggestion if the folks here think it is warranted.

2440 came out in 1998, and included some general recommendations as to
minimum key size: 768 bits for all of DSA, RSA, and Elgamal.  Today, 6
years later, I doubt these values would be used, even as minimums.

My intent is not to get into a discussion as to algorithm strength,
and the best key length to use, etc, but to ask if *any* static
recommendations as to key length are useful.  I expect the new RFC
will be around for a good long time, and over that lifespan, the state
of the art in attacks will undoubtedly improve.

The draft already contains a note in the security considerations
section reminding people to check the current literature for recent
algorithm news.  Perhaps that is sufficient.

David

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:06:39 -0700

> algorithm news.  Perhaps that is sufficient.

I beat you to it. I upped them to 1024 bits and put in a statement for 
Elgamal, as well.

	Jon