Subject: Charset for embedded filename?

From: Holger Sesterhenn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:42:34 +0100

Hi,

draft 15 says in chapter 5.9. "Literal Data Packet (Tag 11)"

[...]
- File name as a string (one-octet length, followed by a file
    name). This may be a zero-length string. Commonly, if the source
    of the encrypted data is a file, this will be the name of the
    encrypted file. An implementation MAY consider the file name in
    the literal packet to be a more authoritative name than the
    actual file name.

[...]

Is this filename (string) treated as UTF-8?

How to convert special chars (e.g. German umlauts) if its not UTF-8?

-- 
Best Regards,

Holger Sesterhenn
---
Internet   http://www.utimaco.com/smgw

---

From: Werner Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:50:58 +0100

> Is this filename (string) treated as UTF-8?

Yes:

3.4. Text

    Unless otherwise specified, the character set for text is the UTF-8
    [RFC2279] encoding of Unicode [ISO10646].

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner