Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-openpgp-camellia-00.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:06:32 -0500

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 06:17:15 -0500 Ian G <[email-masked]> wrote:

>There is a view that OpenPGP is a fine way to experiment 
>with lots of different algorithms and lengths and modes and 
>colours. 

maybe a functional compromise view can be considered:

"don't put all your eggs in one basket"

the NIST standards propose 256 bit symmetrical ciphers and larger 
asymmetric key sizes

it would be prudent to have 'backup' ciphers with different 
primitive designs,
in case the Chinese or other investigators suddenly find a new 
attack approach against rijndael or twofish

[ with processor capabilities increasing, and speed not so much of 
a practical limiting factor,
i would like to see Serpent added too ;-) ]

it doesn't mean that Camellia has to be implemented by everyone,
only that the mechanisms are there to move to it quickly should the 
need ever arise,
and to allow it to be used and implemented in an open-pgp way, 
by users who have a specific regional need for it
(i.e, Japanese corporations)

vedaal

--
Earn up to $300 hour.  Click here to get information on starting a medical career.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dE76719m1zPXb6rMESAqZ2ZyxDkxwvaP0wH859ZDd4Mg9In/