Subject: [openpgp] OpenPGP Notation Registry: what is the "Type" field?

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 20:09:14 -0400

Hi,

I'm looking to register some notations with IANA and trying to figure
out what the "Type" is supposed to be used for.  Is that the
"description" of the tag? Or is it supposed to be how to interpret the
data string?  Alas, RFC 4880 doesn't actually say what the type is
supposed to be, and I don't remember myself.

-derek
-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 20:24:23 -0400

> supposed to be, and I don't remember myself.

My understanding is that the type is indeed a description of the notation.

David

---

From: "Derek Atkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 20:37:36 -0400

> My understanding is that the type is indeed a description of the notation.

Thanks, David!  That's what I thought, too, but wanted to make sure.

Still working on the first of two I-Ds I plan to submit.  :)

-derek